Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Barcelona 2

SPAIN | Wednesday, 24 August 2016 | Views [230]

Back into the city and our plan today is to ride the Funicular and then the chairlift up to Parc de Montjuic. First we went to the shopping centre at the port and had a coffee and tea and Gerard had a pastry, then we wandered off to find our way around. We stopped off and booked a 1.5 hour sail on a catamaran along the foreshore of Barcelona for 3.30pm.

We got a little lost on the way to the funicular, but a lovely old lady sitting on a bench helped us out in French. She was 87 years old and managed to direct us to the funicular station. She was so lovely. We rode the funicular up the hill and then the chairlift to the top of Montjuic.

On top of the Mount is a massive castle/fort that was built in the 1300s and then restored in the 1700s. It is an amazingly fortified area with beautiful gardens and buildings. The design was made to maximise the opportunity to stop your enemies entering by having zigzag walls where you had a clear shot each way to get them and there was also a great big moat, lots of cannons etc. So interesting and great views of Barcelona.

We left Montjuic and travelled back down the funicular in time to have a roll for lunch at a nice café and be at our boat in time for departure. It was a lovely big catamaran that motored out of the harbour and then raised it sails, so we could sail peacefully along with a saxophonist playing on board to entertain us and the other 20 people, approx. on board. What a lovely, peaceful way to spend and afternoon. A glass of sangria and a most enjoyable time. So sad it had to end and we had to depart.

We wandered off and had a cool drink at the café where we had had lunch and then wandered down the street through the market and stalls. We stopped and had 3 tapas and paella for 9.50 euro and then caught the 7.30pm shuttle back to the hotel. This trip took 30 minutes as the driver missed the turn off to the airport.

Another lovely day exploring Barcelona.

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.