Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Cinque Terre 2

ITALY | Wednesday, 10 August 2016 | Views [282] | Comments [1]

Up early today and we head off with our bathers, towels and water to walk the Cinque Terre. The track is closed from Corniglia to Manarola and from Manarola to Riomaggiore so we can only walk Monterosso to Venazza and Venazza to Corniglia.

So Hi Ho, Hi Ho its walking we will go. Magnificent views of the Mediterranean and the surrounding countryside. Just beautiful, nice and warm but shady and a cool breeze. The first walk from Monterosso to Venazza was very difficult at the start with 400 steps basically straight up the hill, then it evened out for a while and then it was down the steps into Venazza. This walk took about two hours and we arrived in Venazza about 10.30am. We were pretty hot and tired, so it was time for a drink and a swim. Mmm! We cooled down nicely.

We decided that as the next section to Corniglia was a shorter walk of 1-11/2 hours that we would do it as well and then have something to eat for lunch at Corniglia. Now it was definitely shorter and we did it in about 1 hour 40 minutes but no one told us it was 700 steps up at the beginning and 300 steps down at the end and lots of difficult rough walking in between. Yes, it was shorter but I think it was harder going. We got to Corniglia and our shins were crying out “no more steps please!” and my knees were rebelling and telling me that even though I had been careful and slow, they had had enough.

We stopped at the first café for a drink. A really gorgeous outdoor garden with a fantastic view. It was lovely and a great revival spot. We then walked into town and found the town square, look out and magnificent views. A café on the way back was on the side of the hill, with a great view and outdoor eating area so we went there. We had a magnificent parma ham (it is like prosciutto) with cantaloupe and lettuce salad. So refreshing and tasty, it was delicious.

So we have eaten and we are refreshed and it’s time to go back to Monterosso for a swim. Great idea! But would you believe it, 365 steps down to get to the station, my shins were going “Noooo!” and my knees were protesting too. But if you want to get back to the hotel and have a swim, you have got to do it. We made it! Onto the train, back to the hotel and change for a swim. Into the refreshing sea and we had a great refreshing experience.

Back to the garden after a shower, and nibbles and drinks again. Tonight we were joined by a couple from Echuca who knew a lot of people I knew and the folk from Cohuna so we had a nice old chit chat. We were also joined by a couple of Americans and were talking to them as well. Apparently by 11pm we were too noisy and some guy complained, so we had to pack up and go to bed. 

Comments

1

Bastards... No wonder I haven't been able to get you on the phone for over a week hahaha Have fun! Thanks, we will

  Nola Aug 12, 2016 3:04 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.