Existing Member?

Mark_Murphy Meanderings

Cinque Terre 3

ITALY | Friday, 12 August 2016 | Views [336] | Comments [1]

According to a guy at breakfast, he thought we were just enjoying ourselves and not too noisy and the guy was unreasonable. Anyway, we were tired and ready for bed so it really didn’t matter. Today our legs are much better, but the shins are a bit tight and the lift is much better than the stairs.

Today we had a slow start, late breakfast and Gerard and I sat around in the lounge catching up on news about home and writing this journal. About 11am we headed down to the beach front and had a cuppa and a pastry and then decided we would walk into town.

Once in town we went to the Ferry Office and booked four tickets for us and Nick and Liz to take the ferry to Riomaggiore and get a different view of the coast. Our tickets were for 2pm so we had a wnder around town and had a look in the Church and the Chapel. The church had been badly flooded in 2005 and they had a display of photos of the damage and restoration.

We wandered back to the Hotel to get organised for the afternoon and headed back to the ferry with Nick and Liz. Today was a cooler day and the sea was much rougher, so we enjoyed the swaying of the ferry and the magnificent views. We could see the path where we had walked the day before and it made us even more proud of our accomplishment. Brian and Liz from Echuca joined us on the ferry and were quite amazed at where we had walked the day before.

We got off the ferry at Riomaggiore and walked up more and more steps into the town. So, of course we found a bar to sit down and have some food and drink. The waiter had either failed waiting 101 or just didn’t understand Australians at all. I got my pannini when the drinks arrived, well some of them, then Gerard had to wait ages for his and we reminded the waiter about his pannini and Liz’s bruschetta several times. I had finished mine and it was delicious before Gerard got his pannini and finally we asked again about Liz’s bruschetta and it finally arrived. The waiter was pretty grumpy and so were we, but we had seen the chef come out the front and stand around and have a smoke. Must be working on Italian time.

After our late lunch we walked back to the train station and caught the train back to Monterosso, we had had a lovely afternoon. Tonight we had booked into a local restaurant and we had a beautiful meal. Gerard was hanging out for a steak and really enjoyed it. I had a grilled fish and it was delicious, the lady even boned it for me and some grilled vegetables. Yum! We finished off with a panna cotta, also yum!

What a nice, restful and enjoyable day.

Comments

1

It's amazing that so many of your contributors are so articulate with near perfect spelling and grammar...
We have recently returned from Italy and unlike our trip to Venice 3 yrs ago, this trip was amazingly dissapointing on many levels, so I am surprised that you have so many comments indicating how wonderful Italy was. The Italians are the rude, will not speak English unless it suits them, the tourist comes last and let's see how much we can get out of them.
Rome is overpriced, dirty and smelly, Florence seems to have ideas of grandeur, Naples and area was the best and the Amalfi coast. Hotels in Naples, Florence and Venice were sub standard, they admitted themselves that they have no money to renovate but still charge top dollar. Airbnb in Rome was great.
Venice, so dissapointing after our last visit when we fell 'In Love' with everything about the place, not anymore, lost that atmosphere, locals not at all friendly, got 4 day unlimited travel pass, date and time stamped, got on ferry, pounced on immediately by ticket inspectors, who we realised were targeting tourists, and wanted to fine us $200 for apparently not swiping an unlimited card, not that you would have any idea where to swipe as nothing is in English.
Spoke to Australian Embassy who said they have dozens of calls daily from our problem but mostly traffic/parking so called offences, difficult when nothing is in English.
Embassy commented, you won't want to come back here again and they are just killing what's left of there tourist trade...
Fortunately, we went to Greece for a week as well, total opposite of Italy but that's another story...

  Mike Graham Sep 27, 2016 8:30 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.