Existing Member?

Jarrod & Krystals Euro Trip Hello and welcome to our online travel journal!!!

St Johann in Tirol, Austrian Alps

AUSTRIA | Saturday, 28 June 2008 | Views [669]

St Johann was absolutely amazing. It is a very small town in the Tirol region of the Austrian Alps, famous for skiing. We stayed in a 600 year old lodge which is now a small backpackers.

We arrived before lunch so had plenty of time that day to walk around. As it is in the Mountains there are alot of walking tracks, we did an easy one.. We also spent the afternoon at the local swimming pool which was huge. It had views up to all the mountains and forests surrounding, cant explain how beautiful it was. Jarrod also stepped on a bee and had to go to the first aid office at the pool which was quite funny cos the guy made me get it out anyway.

There was a group of about 8 of us staying at the lodge so we all had dinner together that night. We were told that the place had great food but noone liked it (we all had schnitzels).

The next day was one of the funnest of our trip so far. We went canyoning which is basiaclly working your way through a long, deep gorge. We were suited up with 10mm thick wetsuits as the water is straight from the alps. We had to absail, jump, climb and slide down through rocks etc. The best bit was a 20m absail down a small waterfall and a big 7 metre jump into a small rock pool which was freezing!!! The water is the purest in Europe to drink.

We also went to the top of the mountain that day by the ski lift. It was 1700m above the ground and the views were unreal. The higher mountains still had snow on them they were so tall. A few of the guys went paragliding from the top down to the bottom which took about 30 minutes.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Austria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.