Existing Member?

Jarrod & Krystals Euro Trip Hello and welcome to our online travel journal!!!

Greek Islands - Mykonos 29/05-31/05 Santorini 31/05-03/06

GREECE | Friday, 30 May 2008 | Views [863]

On the 29/05 we caught the ferry to Mykonos, 1 of the Greek Islands.  The Ferry cost about 54Euro each and took about 4 hours to get there.  We had to be on the Ferry at 7am so we were up at about 5am (We said we would never be up this early again).  The Ferry was huge so it was really comfy to travel in and you didn't feel any waves or anything - but ppl still smoked on it.  PPl smoke everywhere and anywhere in Greece. 

Mykonos was absolutely beautiful.  From sea all you can see is an Island full of white houses, like little bungalows.  They were all white, square shaped, with blue doors and window panes, just like you expect the greek islands to be. The water was bright blue too!!

We were booked to stay at a camping ground but a lovely Greek Lady won us with her Studio Villas on 1 part of the island (Platis Gialos).  It was only 40 Euros a night and was about 100 metres from the beach -the best thing we did was stay here!   

We basically sat at the beach all day everyday here.  On the last day we hired a scooter to see the rest of the island which was really good but it was just so windy up on the hilss that it made it too hard to control it.  We saw the sunset andwent to other parts of the island when we had this bike but where we were staying was the nicest by far!

The beaches on Mykonos were nice but Aussie beaches are just so so much nicer!!!

After a couple of days in Mykonos we caught the Ferry to Santorini, we were actually sad to leave Mykonos and our hosts Mina and Kosmos, but when we got to Santorini it was worth it.

Santorini was a lot bigger and more colourful.  Houses were not just white and blue they were even pink and yellow!!!  The town is set up on a hill over looking a volcano which broke off from mainland Santorini 100's of years ago.  As the city is on the top of the Island you can just imagine how nice the view is and especially the sunset at about 7pm!

We had a pool at out Hotel so we spent a lot of time here sunbaking (and getting burnt) but the weather for the first few days was so nice and very hot again.

We hired a car here for 20Euros a day and drove around the island to all the different beaches.  Kamari Beach was black sand, it was very weird and also extremely hot, JArrod and I both didn't really like it but it was so different to at home!  We also went to the red beach which is red.....ha ha. It was a deep burgandy colour, you had to walk for about 10-15 mins to get to it as it was down a very steep, rocky hill.  It was amazing to see because it was a beach that was cut into the side of teh mountain.  You had to pay 5Euros to sit on it though!!!

We met a few really nice Canadians in Santorini, 1 couple at a bar that we were only having 1 drink at - well we stayed all night and Jarrod had to carry me home (5 min walk took about 20 minutes) We had a really good night.  We also met another Canadian girl staying at out hotel so we went for tea with her the following night to a restaurant over looking the water and sunset.  The food wasn't all that good but it was an experience!

After many hours of doing not a hell of alot, we were very sad to leave the greek islands. The week we were there was just amazing, we recomend anyone to go there. Everything is so beautiful and the people are so friendly....

 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.