Existing Member?

Jarrod & Krystals Euro Trip Hello and welcome to our online travel journal!!!

Berlin, Germany

GERMANY | Sunday, 15 June 2008 | Views [597] | Comments [2]

Arrived in Berlin, Germany, after 10 hour bus ride which included crossing the Netherlands / Germany border. We got through without being stopped but aparently they regularly check people leaving Amsterdam (not sure why that would be...)

As we got in late, we just found a nice Italian restaurant and had a quiet night. Krystal wasnt feeling well and was up most of the night sick. After not much sleep, we finally got up, however Krystal was still feeling terrible. I decided to do the manly thing and leave her at the Hostel for the day and go exploring Berlin. Krystal basiaclly slept all day and was feeling better by that night.

I did a walking tour which went for about 4 hours and took in the main sights. Berlin has a huge amount of history (mainly bad recently) and alot of the city has obviously been hit hard by various wars, however there is still so much to see. Probably the highlights were what is left of the Berlin Wall (which Krystal thought was like the Great Wall of China) and hearing the stories of the communism days, aswell as the Jewish memorial which takes up 2 whole street blocks. Alot of the tour was also obviously around the Nazi's and saw alot of the things that Hitler changed in Berlin. Also saw the bunker where he killed himself. The tour guide told a story of 2 Aussie guys who pissed on Hitlers grave so they could go back and tell their mates. He said that was the funniest thing he had seen while doing his tours (I was quite proud to be an Aussie haha)

That night Krystal was feeling alot better, and is there anything better than a Pub Crawl to help you get better. Well there probably is, but we did a pub crawl anyway. We met up with all the guys we have been travelling with on the BusAbout tour and hit the town of Berlin. Went to about 4 pubs which were scattered around the city, so we had to do a bit of walking. It was OK cause we had Jager shots in between each pub. The first pub was an ex-East Berlin pub from Communism days and it hasnt been changed since (Krystal thought it just smelt... which it did). Also went to a big pub which had a beach area out the back. All pubs had really cheap drinks so it was a good night.

Next day, got her first glimpse of Berlin at day. Had a look around the main city and saw the TV Tower etc. Also did some shopping as the Europe summer hasnt been too hot yet.

That night we caught up with an American couple we met. Germany were also playing in the EuroCup so the town was pretty excited for them to win.

Our 3 nights in Berlin went really quick and unfortunately Krystal didnt get to see much. We will definately have to go back there, it is a really nice city and people are actually pretty cool. They maybe love David Hasselhof a bit too much (he claimed to be responsible for ending the split between East & West Germany....)

 

Comments

1

Lol - one thing you can do anywhere in the world - a pub crawl. Was there many claudia schiffer types around??

  Brett Headland Jun 20, 2008 9:59 PM

2

hey,
It's christina, I've been looking at your photos and reading your website and I think your travelling looks really fun. if you go any further you might end up falling off the end of the earth,tehe!

  christina tancred Jun 21, 2008 2:03 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.