Existing Member?

Our Travels

Greece - Athens & Delphi

GREECE | Friday, 10 August 2007 | Views [849]

Acropolis in Athens

Acropolis in Athens

Friday 10th August

Caught the earliest train we could from Earls Court in London to Heathrow airport. When we got there it was INSANE!! There were people everywhere lining up to check into there flight.
We arrived with only 1 1/2 hours before our flight and we seriously thought we were going to miss it cause it was SO busy and the lines weren't going down very fast.
We did get a little panicked and pushed in in front of these people...oops!! However we got to the check-in counter with no minutes to spare and we SPRINTED to the gate. We got to our gate and sat down for literally 2 seconds before they called our flight. PHEW!

The flight only took 3 1/2 hours and we arrived in Athens. We caught the train to our hotel and checked in. The staff at the hotel were SO UNHELPFUL. They had signs up around the reception desk saying to ask our 'friendly' staff about any tours. Yeah right!
We went and walked around Athens and had lunch looking up at the Acropolis. Jamie had a really nice lamb meal, there lamb is cooked SO tender.

Saturday 11th August

We went to the Acropolis temple and a few other places around the city. There is so much stuff that has been uncovered over the years it's just incredible. We also went to Zeus's temple and Ancient Angora.
It was incredible how much rework they have been doing to restore the buildings. The weight of some of these blocks is massive, it's incredible how they built them.

That afternoon we went up to this little church onto of this hill where everyone goes for the sunset. It was beautiful from up there, you could see the acropolis in full view and the ocean in the background. It took a while for the sun to go down, but when it did it was very nice going down over the city.

Sunday 12th August

Today was crap because we found out that it was the busiest time of year to got to Greece and we just happened to be there.
Everything around this time is peak prices and you can't hire a car or get a ticket anywhere and you cant do anything. We were just waiting around Athens till we could get a ticket somewhere.
We ended up going to the 2004 Olympic Village, which we were disappointed in. It was so barren, no one was there and the facilities hardly ever get used. We had a walk around and looked through as many windows as we could to find out where everything was.

Tuesday 13th August

We got up really early to try and catch the train to the bus station terminal. It wasn't open early through the peak periods so we had to catch a taxi there. He ripped us off BIG TIME! It cost us 15 euros for a 3 min ride to the bus station. REDICULOUS!
We got there is time to purchase our ticket to Delphi. It took us three hours to get there. We walked to all the ruins and saw the temple of Apollo and all the other ruins at Delphi. We then headed to the museum where we got to see all the statues that had been found, there were so many of them. We only spent 4 hours at Delphi before we had to catch the bus back to Athens in the afternoon.

*Apparently, according to legend* - Two gods let two eagles go at both sides of the earth and Delphi is where they met. So Delphi then became the centre of the earth. Bit of trivia for ya's!!

Tags: Sightseeing

 

About jamie_candice


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.