Existing Member?

Our Travels

CAMBODIA - Gecko Tour - Fourth Day

CAMBODIA | Thursday, 14 June 2007 | Views [2243] | Comments [5]

Me and the missus.

Me and the missus.

Fourth Day

Today we had a free day with our tour group, to decide on somewhere to go together or split up.
As we where all getting along so well, we decided to stay as a group and check out some more sites.

We decided to go to the Cambodian Landmine Museum. The guy who owns this place used to be in the war and placed the landmines. Now that the war is over and there are still people being hurt by the mines, he has started demobilizing them and finding the ones he put down. We watched a movie on how he goes about finding them and destroying them, it was very intriguing. He also has housed many of the landmine victims that have lost limbs and helped them get by in today’s world.

After that we went to this really nice restaurant close to where we were staying. It was a Butterfly sanctuary with really nice food. There was a fish pond with lots of large goldfish in it that the boys kept feeding dead butterflies to. 

We then headed out to the Cultural centre, which turned out to be the highlight of our day. We had a walk around and looked at a few of the replica buildings and watched some of the Dancing shows. Dorn then took us to the archery section where we got to shoot 10 arrows for US$1. It was heaps of fun, Jamie managed 6 shots on the board (no bull’s-eye) and I managed 3 (no bull’s-eye).

Our Tour leader Dorn, the sneaky buggar, had organized for one of the guys in our group to be involved in one of the ceremonies. We went to the 'Selecting the fiancé' show and as they were picking someone out of the crowd they turned to Jamie.
At first we thought he wouldn't go up because he didn't want to be in the ceremony before that, when they were selecting volunteers. However, he went up with style, pumping his arms in the air on the way down.
After gaining approval from the 'Family', they took him to this little enclosure where he had to strip down to his jocks and get changed into this costume.
Everyone in our tour group was laughing as hard as they could. One of the guys in our tour, (Rob) taped the whole thing for us and is going to send us a copy hopefully. So there will have to be a movie night when we get home. 

After all the excitement of Jamie’s marriage, we headed to the Angkor Amazon where we had dinner and watched the traditional dancing for only US$8 each.      

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Hey Guys,
I must admit I'm wondering how much longer you can keep up your frequent updating for before you get bored with it. But I'm loving it, although I'm totally jealous : )
I'll update my myspace page with photo's from Jordy's 1st bday party soon and I'll put a photo in my album of your folks for you to copy and put on your site Jamie Russell Stait!!!
Luv Yas
Irene

  Irene Jun 18, 2007 11:36 AM

2

Hey There!!!
WOW!!! Got back from rnr and there was all these entries!! Sounds like Cambodia is the place to go. I have started saving so i can go on a holiday cause you guys make it sound like heaps of fun.
Really missing you. Can wait for the next installment. Keep having fun.
Luv Brooke :)

  Brooke Jun 19, 2007 8:13 AM

3

Hi there my darlings
Wow Jamie you need to get out in the sun and the new bride is very beautiful I would perfer the girlfriend you have now though. Was so wonderful to hear from you the other day and you trip is so good read about. Dad is in Brisbane this week catching up with his dad so will be interesting to see how things are going.
Talk soon Love yas and cheers from your mummy xoxoxoxo

  PAULINE STAIT Jun 20, 2007 12:15 PM

4

Hi again Matt wants to know what crawled across your face a died Jamie was it a hairy catapilla. Love the photos Luv and cheers your mummy xoxoxo

  POLLY STAIT Jun 20, 2007 12:17 PM

5

Hello travellers, wonderful being able to keep up with all your adventures, love the wedding garb Jamie, did you get to keep the ring ?? Sorry to hear you both got sick, hope you are both back on track now...we have had more rain, place is looking a little greener thank goodness...told DB you had another horse in your life Candy, he was most upset. Been really really cold here lately, last Wed (20/6) rained all day temp didn't get above 10 so fireplace hasn't stopped.
Well keep enjoying yourselves, take care. Keep up the journals I feel I am with you when I read them great stuff - Aunty Liz is reading them, along with Uncle Dav and Mitch.
Luv Mum

  Lyndale Connection Jun 24, 2007 2:31 PM

About jamie_candice


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.