Existing Member?

Our Travels

Slowing down in Germany

GERMANY | Thursday, 30 July 2009 | Views [762] | Comments [1]

Normal 0 21 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Normale Tabelle"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

We left Holland and headed for Germany, steadily driving along at Bertha’s 90 km/hr pace. Once we reached the autobahns of Germany we really felt like we were just crawling along. Seeing as we had spent a little too much money over the last week and the huge fuel bill that Bertha the camper van was racking it up for the others, we decided to just find ourselves a spot where we could park up for the night. We found ourselves a nice little spot on the edge of some woods that did very nicely. The next day we had planned to head for Berlin, but Cindy still hadn’t heard back from her friend that lives there. So we thought it best to give Berlin a miss, as we figured it may not be too camper friendly. Instead we headed for the South of Germany, toward Wurzburg, where the Romantic Road begins. Only 400 kilometres, surely not too much of a stretch for us to drive in a day we thought. But as the roads began to ascend Bertha’s speed declined and it seemed the fuel gauge was travelling faster than our small convoy. We only made it 200 kilometres that day. We found ourselves a spot to pull up for the night out the front of a farmer’s paddock. The farmer came along a few minutes later and through some hand signalling gave us the okay to stay there. He then led us to his place so that we could fill up our water bottles. That night Brett, Rick and Cindy decided that Bertha had to go. The fuel bill was costing them their daily budget alone (about 220 klms from a tank of fuel that cost 50euros or $100 aus) and travelling along a German autobahn at 40km/hr up the inclines isn’t the safest way to travel. So the decision was made to try and trade Bertha in for a car and tent.

 

In the morning we took off for Wurzburg where we thought they might be able to find a place to trade Bertha in, being a larger city. We made it about 50klms along the road before we had to pull in for a toilet break at a service station. As we went to leave the car park Bertha made the chance of trade in a little more difficult. It seemed that Bertha was sick of being bad-mouthed and wasn’t going to take them any further. She did manage to cough her engine alive, in the smokey way that we had become used to, but Cindy found it impossible to get it into gear as the clutch had gone “kaput” as the road side assistance guy put it. So we pulled out Bertha’s awning and waited around the back of the servo for about 4 hours for the tow truck to arrive. Bertha was winched on the back of the truck and Brett and Cindy then had to climb into the campervan, as there was only enough room for Rick inside the tow truck. With us following in our car behind the truck, we made our way gingerly to the mechanics. The news got even worse once there, about 600 euros to fix the clutch and a lot of laughs from the mechanics as they took a peek under the van. It seemed that a turn of events had forced the Camper Trio into a dismal decision, Bertha had to be CRUSHED!

 

So Candice and I went and set our tent up at a nearby camping grounds, then made a trip back to the mechanics to pick up the homeless trio and some of their gear. The next day we went into town for Cindy to get a plane ticket back to London so that she could buy them a new car. They also got themselves a tent so that Brett and Rick had a place of their own to stay while we spent our time waiting by the little stream in the small town of Kothen, in a beautiful part of Germany.

 

And a week after we dropped Cindy off at Frankfurt Airport, here we find ourselves still at the little stream, enjoying the subtleties of getting to know a small foreign village and the locals and more importantly the beer.

 

Comments

1

Yeah you are all back on track and to see so many entries on your journal was super what a nice surprise for a Monday morning as on my way to work this morning I get the milk and when I got to work it had spilt all over the car floor so a big clean up but as the saying goes it is no good crying over spilt milk but gee I could have this morning as what a mess. So pleased that life is good, loved the stories. Keep safe and happy Love Ma & Pa Bear

  Ma & Pa Bear Aug 3, 2009 10:23 AM

About jamie_candice


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.