Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Sat 29 Oct 11

USA | Sunday, 30 October 2011 | Views [563]

Stayed indoors today - kept in  by the cold and the snow.  It's a little difficult to see the snowflakes but you can pick them up on the top right of the photo, shooting down, to end their brief descent on the ground.

It wasn't much, just a light sprinkle which kept up most of the afternoon and didn't photograph very well, but I'd rather be at home in pleasant sunshine.  Speaking of that, we were alerted early this morning, of the news that Qantas has effectively grounded all its aircraft from Monday 31 Oct, meaning that we have just lost our ride home.

It is fundamentally a union vs management issue which has reached the point where the Qantas board reckoned that something had to be done.  It has already caused chaos and will create further chaos as the days go by, unless commonsense prevails.  I lean on the side of management, even though we will be profoundly affected come Wednesday, as I believe the unions have forgotten their raison d'etre and tend to be exceptionally shortsighted in their aims.  We'll see if their members are any better off, when this tete a tete is resolved.

I will call the Embassy on Monday to ask how we will be affected if we don't leave the country on Wednesday, as that will be the end of our three month visa period.  It could have adverse implications, but there'll no doubt be a way out of the predicament.

The local weatherv website advises that the temperature at the moment is 41 degrees F (but there is small print to say that it feels like 31 degrees F, due to the wind), which is the equivalent of 5 degrees C and 0.5 degree C - so that's cold for us.  No birds around at the moment and the squirrels seem to have taken cover as well. 

  

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.