Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Wednesday 14 Sep 11

USA | Friday, 16 September 2011 | Views [304]

Our first real day out exploring.

We'd decided to visit the Smithsonian Museum of American History, mainly because, although we'd seen it before (a few years ago), it has only recently been completely renovated.

It was a good choice.

The centrepiece of this Museum is the original US flag which was flown at Fort McHenry in Baltimore, in the War with the British 1812-14.  It was at Ft McHenry that Frederick Scott Keys wrote the Star Spangled Banner, while a guest of the British fleet, who were shelling the Fort.  Anyway this flag which measures 40'x30', was sewn up by a Baltimore resident (she received $400 for her work) and flown over Ft McHenry on what must have been a very big and sturdy flagpole.  Bits of the flag were subsequently given to those who needed to be impressed and the flag which has been extensively and painstakingly preserved, is now missing about six feet of its length together with one of its stars.  Nonetheless, it is an impressive display and the focus of the Museum.  We couldn't take photos, so there are none here ! 

Interestingly our docent (American for guide) told us that the US National Anthem which resulted from the marriage of F.S. Keys' "Star Spangled Banner" and an old English tune of unknown origin, was not officially blessed by Congress till 1934 !

We moved on and saw the red shoes that Dorothy wore in the Wizard of Oz - apparently they were silver in the book but that wasn't sufficiently spectacular for the film makers, so they went with red.

 In one of the corridor displays, we noted an old dentist's chair, which reminded Marg of one in which she was occasionally obliged to suffer - dentist's name was Mr Treby in Albany Hwy Vic Park.  She's older than me !

I was impressed by the first automobile west-east crossing of the US and took the following pics.  The vehicle was a 1903 Winton:

I questioned the guide and she confirmed that this was the original vehicle - it looked too good to have done the trip described here:

 

The dog in the photo was named Bud. His inclusion was not planned, but he apparently attached himself to these adventurers and they took him along. 

Also got a shot in the Museum's section on transportation, of this 1926/7 Model T on some form of 270 (?) degree roller - there was no explanation that I saw for the curious set up.

We were in the Museum from 10.00am till around 3.30pm and after finishing here we went out onto the Mall which runs from the Capitol (aka Parliament House) - 

to the Washingtom Monument (and beyond that to the Lincoln Memorial) -

We also saw Segway riders on the Mall:

These are gyro controlled, two wheeled machines which only the young can ride.  I'm sure we non-tech types would be embarrassed if we tried to match their skills.

I also got a second photo of the Washington Monument with a plane to one side.  I'm pleased to report that the two stayed away from each other.

We Metro'd home to Alexandria and married up with Leanne who gave a couple of weary travellers, a ride home.

A good day.

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.