Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Thursday 15 Sep 11

USA | Saturday, 17 September 2011 | Views [221]

Motivation was the problem today, so we stayed home in the AM and only journeyed a short distance to the Fairfax County Library in our area, named after the US Navy explorer, Richard Byrd.  While reading the Wikipedia entry for Byrd, I saw that he had been awarded the Medal of Honor and curious to see why, I looked up his citation:

For distinguishing himself conspicuously by courage and intrepidity at the risk of his life, in demonstrating that it is possible for aircraft to travel in continuous flight from a now inhabited portion of the earth over the North Pole and return.

Somebody must have needed a hero very badly.

The Wikipedia entry also contained some statistics and I read where 193 awards of the MoH, had been given in peacetime.  It is a different mindset I guess, but if the above is true (and to reinforce the point that this is not uncommon, I would also point to MacArthur's award and Lindburgh's), there can be no comparison between this type of gallantry award in the face of the enemy and other such decorations awarded to individuals, where valour alone is the criteria.

Anyway, the weather has, over the last day or so, turned decidely chilly and while we were inside the Library the sky became cloudy and the wind freshened.  We were pleased that we had previously arranged to be collected by Leanne when she returned from work, rather than face the alternative of struggling home, battered by cold rain.

Brian has now programmed his surgery for later this month, so we'll be around should any extra help be required.  

 

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.