Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Sunday 4 Sep 11

USA | Tuesday, 6 September 2011 | Views [463] | Comments [1]

This was a big day !

We started a few days ago, with this:

Marg and Leanne somehow managed to go back to Home Depot again today and reported back that they had a new shipment of sod (roll on lawn). After some brief discussion, we took two cars to HD and collected 30 rolls of the stuff. I came across an older employee at HD, who had a little time to talk and we got onto the subject of the Udvar-Hazy Centre, an Annex of the Smithsonian, located at Dulles Airport. I had been there twice to see the amazing collection of aircraft and particularly the famous B29 (Enola Gay), when I was here last and would like to go back. This fellow told me that the Columbia space craft has been recently deposited there, so I will definitely make the effort, after this weekend.

Once back at the house with our loot, we went on to spread mulch over the rear garden area and break up the clay in the long narrow (50' x 6') section where we will lay the lawn. Once that was done and it was a back breaking task in the usual Washington humidity, we threw some soil conditioner onto this patch (which is supposed to break down the clay so the lawn can grow into it), mixed it into the clay and rolled out the lawn.

So this is the way it finished up :

After recovering for a few minutes, we all agreed that the colour of the lawn and the new plants, does now make the area much more homely and will no doubt be far more conducive to outdoor activities.

During the day we laid the first coat of paint on the entry porch and last thing at night, we added the second coat.  It too looks pretty.

I think we are about done - in both senses of the word.

Watched the movie "Fargo" again - it was as good as the first time we'd seen it and reminded us very much of the time we had spent touring the Dakotas in 2005.

Comments

1

Jack and Marg, Bless you both for all that backbreaking work. What a demonstration of love! Cannot wait to see the end product.

  Linda Sep 6, 2011 10:23 AM

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.