Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Thursday 25 Aug 11

USA | Saturday, 27 August 2011 | Views [270]

Been here around three weeks now and almost all of it has been devoted to home improvement - apart from the odd foray to places of immense interest, like the American Wartime Museum.

Spent the day working around the back of the house - Marg cleaned up along the back fence and weeded much of the remainder of the yard in preparation for the edging and the laying of pebbles.  I amused myself by levelling off the space between the retaining wall and the concrete path (about 4 feet x 50 feet) - it's clay and in most places rockhard, though the rain that came down intermittently during the day, did help to soften the ground somewhat.  It's not often that you wish for Perth's sandy soil, but it does have significant advantages over clay, when you have to play in it.

A good deal of publicity is being given the Hurricane Irene, which after bashing the Bahamas, now seems intent on delivering a blow to the east coast of the US.  The residents and tourists around the Outer Banks off the coast of North Carolina are preparing for the worst and the concern is that the storm effects will head north up the coast, from there to maybe as far as New York.

So far we've survived the dreaded lurgy (which was probably self inflicted), an earthquake, driving on the wrong side of the road and now a hurricane - and its only been three weeks !

Popeye's Chicken for tea tonight - a better fare than the Colonel's.

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.