Existing Member?

Walkabout 2011

Day 10 - Friday 12 Aug 11

USA | Sunday, 14 August 2011 | Views [190]

While I'm feeling better this morning, Marg is not.  We have decided to go to the Minute Clinic when Leanne comes home from work this evening.  These Minute Clinics appear to be located in a range of CVS (a chain of chemist shops) pharmacies and use the services of a Nurse Practitioner who can deal with minor ailments like ours and dispense prescriptions for antibiotics.

Anyway, through the day we feel a little guilty at doing nothing and manage to find our way outside and dig up another reasonably large section of the front grassy patch, in preparation for the area beautification we have planned.  While we are doing so, we talked to the neighbour across the road, a lady named Naomi who came out to walk her dogs.  She and her invalid husband are originally from El Salvador (which brings to mind Ollie North) and she tells us her daughter spent two years as a civilian contractor in Iraq and is preparing to head overseas again, this time to Kuwait.  A very nice, friendly person.

As Leanne is held up at work, coping with some final drama before heading off to Ohio in the morning, Brian took us to the Minute Clinic.  We are obliged to register digitally at the MC, but the wait is not pronounced and we find ourselves in the consulting room talking to the FNP (Family Nurse Practioner), within 20 minutes.  She turned out to be a talkative and friendly person, who had previously been to both Sydney and Perth.  She asked a lot of questions, following a computer programme and did a brief physical examination of us both (ie, blood pressure, ears, throat etc), before electronically sending the prescription to the pharmacy located in the same CVS.  All we then had to do was pay her bill ($178) and the pharmacy bill ($60) and we were on our way home.

Both of us thought it was important to get some professional help in the form of antibiotics, as what we've managed to pick up hasn't been helped at all, by over the counter medicines.

About jamag


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.