Existing Member?

Jack Be Nimble My excursion to the bottom half of the "other" America!

A Year in Review

BRAZIL | Saturday, 7 February 2009 | Views [649]

Well, it´s official, I have been in South America for one year now. 

Sure doesn´t feel like it.  Maybe a month, but a year!??

Alot has happened.  My neice celebrated her second birthday...and, is getting ready to celebrate her third.  An entertaining presidential election.  A baROCK star has taken over for the bumbling Texan.  The Lakers lost in the Finals...but beat Boston the other night for the second time this season.  And a world-wide crisis has taken a strangle hold on the global economy. 

On a more personal note...in this last year I have managed to make some dreams come true, learn a new language, make some lifelong friends from all over the world, and see parts of mother nature that I thought existed only in the movies.

One year ago today, I arrived in Santiago, Chile...Kristen and Carlos met me at the Andes Hostel and we went for a sushi dinner...walking back I got lost in the city for a good 2 hours, at 3 AM...a traveling don´t.

Went to Valparaiso and Viña Del Mar, the beach was packed and the water was...chilly?

Puerto Montt, Chile...made some good friends who convinced me to go on a 4 day Patagonian cruise to Puerto Natales...I didn´t need much convincing.

On the Navimag cruise...saw my first glacier, lot´s of dolphins, some whales, and close to 80 beers.

Puerto Natales, Chile...met Kieran, who became my trekking buddy as we hiked through Torres Del Paine for 9 days.  Oatmeal every morning, and the jar of peanut butter was a treat!

Punta Arenas, Chile...the southern most point of journey.  Met Alvaro and Benny, went to Isla Magadalena and saw the largest penguin colony in the world, 52,000 of them...though I lost count after awhile.

Rio Gallegos, Argentina...one day, actually, one hour is all you need here.  Did have my first all-you-can eat Argentinean buffet.

37 hour bus ride later, Buenos Aires, Argentina...steak debauchery, River Plate fútbol match, and Bob Dylan in concert.

Hour and half flight over the Andes, back in Santiago...began my 8-month volunteer, english teaching program...

18 hour bus ride north to Antofagasta, Chile.  Met my new family, and was right at home the very second I walked through the door. 

July, I had a long awaited 2-week vacation...went to Portillo, Chile, skied the Andes, a long time goal of mine.

One week English Winter Camp in Coyhaique, Chile...got my name printed in the local newspaper.

Back to Antofagasta...

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile...driest desert in the world...spectacular!

Mejillones, Tocapilla, and Calama, Chile...all were visited as well.

Back to Santiago...wrapped up the teaching gig...headed to Easter Island! Another long time dream of mine...amazing place.

2 more weeks in Santiago, staying with Cousin Claudio.  A blast!

23 hour bus ride to Buenos Aires...my friend Lorena put me up in her grandmother´s studio upstairs...3 weeks there and in Palermo.

Rosario, Argentina...visited with family.  Didn´t sleep much due to the lively atmosphere.

Cordoba, Argentina...stayed with Victor, a retired police chief, and Graciela and her mother, as well as the family...great 4 days! Pool, asado, pool, sleep...

Iguazu Falls, Argentina...perhaps one of the most beautiful sights known on this planet.  An incredible display of nature.  Waterfalls that existed only in my imagination...now a reality.

Foz de Iguacu, Brazil...see above...just from another side, another country.

São Paulo, Brazil...brings me today...non-stop, museums, theatre, parks, and off and on heavy thunder and showers...Loving it so far!

Well, obviously, very little detail...just an overview, or a Year in Review.

 

About jacques360


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.