Existing Member?

home sweet home

Bulgaria - once upon a time ...

BULGARIA | Friday, 20 November 2009 | Views [676]

… there was a Bulgarian Empire, spread all over the Balkans and more. It sounds surreal today, but in Veliko Tarnovo, the old capital, there is an impressive fortress (Tsarevets) which still stands to prove the glorious past. It’s a ruin, of course and the rest of the town looks like falling apart. Sic transit gloria mundi… 1 hour is enough for a visit and a photo session. The panoramic view over the town and Yantra river is beautiful, at sunset especially.

If you see ugly things, strange color combinations, if you feel visually aggressed, close your eyes and listen: Bulgaria has fantastic rhythm. They know music.

Found tasty food in a tavern for architects: tatar kiftea = meatball filled with chopped mushrooms, cheese and pickled cucumbers. The bitter taste of disappointment came along with the coffee, which I hoped to be real, traditional – and proved to be just a banal espresso from a capsule. Why?

I really wish countries like Bulgaria would value their traditions more and take pride in respecting them. It took me so long to find Bulgarian made cosmetics, based on rose essence produced locally. Way too long, considering they produce 85% of the rose oil in the world. And no, thanks, I don’t want Bvlgari perfume based on Bulgarian roses – I want Bulgarian products.

Next time I will visit Bulgaria, I want to see the Valley of Roses and I hope to see people smiling.

Tags: fortress, music, roses, tavern

 

 

Travel Answers about Bulgaria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.