Existing Member?

Beamish and me wales, England, Scotland, Wales

Palnackie

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 4 April 2014 | Views [168]

Travelled north from yorkshire via national trust places. stopped in a lay by on the cleaveland wayfor one night  with pheasants chortling around the place, and woke to find the car park i was looking for a hundred yards down the road! Headed into an increasingly foggy north east coast, so visited more national trust properties before heading west, along hadrians wall. All parking places away from the main road specifying no overnight parking and had cameras,whether working or not. So next night was a comfortable sleep in Sainsburys car park. Still fog in am until 30 mins further west when it suddenly cleared. A detour via Gretna Green outlet center and i arrived at Palnackie. This is a very small place on the river -once a thriving port. Here to help Tim and his friends with his slow sail project.   He has a boat house heated with an oil drum wood burner, and basic facilities which he is clearing to put in a training boat before heading of to Falmouth for the arrival of a sailing cargo ship, The Tres Hombres linked to his project.  evidently the BBC  are covering it so if you see a dreadlocked man with a goatee -thats Tim. Spent a few days getting very dirty  and then we all pitched up to his very hospitable mothers for showers , laundry, and a very nice dinner and bed with a beautiful view of the Solway firth.

Today am heading  north with no further planned stays until back in sheffield in 3 weeks. Will start with a trip to the Burns houses in Dumfries and up to Ayr before hitting the open north! 

I have a laptop with a dongle for internet, but cant charge in the van, and a tablet I can charge but cant use the dongle on... such forward planning

About imaoptimist


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.