Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

sightseeing (huw)

ITALY | Thursday, 6 May 2010 | Views [603]

Kerouac once wrote, “Why travel if not like a child?” I used to value that, to hold it forward in my mind as I moved around the world. Now, too often, I travel like a child sat bored in the back of a car in a traffic jam with nothing but a completed colouring book for distraction. The scenes I too often now see, I coloured in with my mind’s eye many years ago.

Too many of these scenes of today seem stunningly, stuntingly similar. Homogeneity has spread like foot fungus across cultures and places that were recently vibrant and complete, confident in their individuality. The places touted as living heritage are often just the carcass of a culture, hung to dry cure in the butcher’s shop of tourism and devoured by directionless daytrippers.  Overpriced coffee, ice cream and dust collecting trinkets replacing self-sufficiency, creativity and regional communality.

Give me Stiava over Sienna, Coullias before Carcassone. Their history might be whispered not screamed, but they are honest. Imposing ancient edifice and streets sanitised for sightseers are nothing compared to the intensity of a sitting in someone’s home eating food cooked by them to be shared with me. The variety that was once in these places is now just in the people. It is their lives and loves, pains, past and dreams that interest me.

As hierarchy and commerce close in for the kill, as their economy of scale, profit ethic and avarice paints the whole world corporate grey, so colour burns brighter in any person with generosity. And the generosity we have been shown has been complete, though I have had little if anything to give in return, not even conversation as my second language skills are so blunt.

Florence was dirty and crowded, Sienna pretensions and expensive, Pisa a pantomime. All communities large and small can be closed, cliquey and insular, but cracked open they are a cornucopia. Behind the façade the cosmetically enhanced cities of history are surely just as inviting and charitable. But Stiava? Yes, We have had an invite in, but that has not been enough to explain their depth of giving. That place was honest, welcoming and generous, and with no facade.

Route, photos and more at www.thelongandwinding.co.uk

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.