Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

pistola stroboscopica (huw)

ITALY | Thursday, 6 May 2010 | Views [2216] | Comments [1]

We didn't buy one before we left. I had been told to get one, told that carrying one would be a good idea because, "even though you might hope you don't need it, you'll be glad you have it if you do." But it was just one more thing to source, one more thing to buy, something else to secrete somewhere in the truck when space was already a premim. So it slipped through the priority net and we left the UK without one. One day into Italy and it became starkly clear that not packing the pistol had been big a mistake.

Pistola Stroboscopica were the first new words of Italian I learnt. Together they doubled my previous sum total vernacular of "ciao" and "grazie". Pistola Stroboscopica were two words I used a lot over the course of a single day. Armed with such a specific name for what we needed we started out with an expectancy of ease.  Not just me, but Jonathan Martinelli, too, an old friend, colleague and East London born son of an Italian immigrant from the small Tuscan village where he and we were staying in his parents' family home. He's not word-perfect-fluent, but his Italian is expansive and convincingly local. For my part, I knew exactly what I needed and why. A good team? Not bad, apart from that Jonathan's Italian faltered and fell flat when it came to nuanced technical terms, and although I knew what to ask, I had only English words to dribble out ineffectually. So in this case, in effect, we were both pretty speechless. That is, apart from, "Pistola Stroboscopica".

A Pistola Stroboscopica is a strobe gun. A strobe gun is a tool used to set the combustion timing of an engine. They aren't used much since the advent of onboard computers and diagnostic systems, that ensure all modern cars run perfectly. Until they don't, and then that same complex silcone hardware and esoteric software stops anyone apart from a main dealer getting the damn thing running again, and then only after parting with more than a week's wages of the average Harley Street surgeon. A Pistola Storbascopica is one of those tools that have been muscled out by the bright heat of technology, but it is one of those bits of kit that, when the shit hits and the shiny new bits fail, you really need to be packing.

A strobe gun is a tool about the size and shape of a Dersert Eagle .50 semi-automatic handgun, and trying to source one in Tuscany is more difficult than acquiring an illegal firearm.

We expected our first port of call to turn up the goods. Jonathan's father had an old friend whose son was now a good friend of Jonathan. Both generations have been enigmatically called "Pipo". Pipo the younger worked in a automotive shop packed with parts and tools: basically a porn stash for petrol heads. We pulled the truck up to the glass fronted shop and I gave the V8 a last blast of throttle for effect. We jumped out and strolled in, full of confidence and familiarity. Five minutes later we were out again, flabbergasted and crest-fallen. We knew even at this early stage that if Pipo didn't have a Pistola Stroboscopica, the chase was liable to be long and frustrating. But he had thrown us a bone: the address of another automotive retailer and failing that, the name and number of a bloke that might have one in his workshop.

As we pulled off I spotted a fully-pumped-up Paris Dakar support truck parked across the road, one of those huge 4x4 lorries that storm off-road through the desert carrying spares and kit for the dune racing rally drivers. The truck and the workshop belonged to a rally team preparation specialist, way more high-tech than a 101 but surely with a sympathetic perspective towards heavy duty four wheel drive vehicles? Worth a punt. Sympathetic yes, but no tool: just a blank stare from the man at reception when confronted with the words, Pistola Stroboscopica.

The theme continued. From the second parts shop to the third, to the off-road specialist mechanic to the back street grease money, always the same response:

"Pistola Stroboscopia? Ain't seen one of those in years mate. It's all computers these days. You got more chance of having pasta with the Pope than turning up one of those." In Italian of course, but even without a grasp of local slang the facial expressions and body language told the same soul destroying story. 

Dropping in on the Land Rover dealer was a laugh. The showroom was ludicrously clean, spotless and sterile, a bit incongruous for a 4x4 distributor and the suited salesman looked on with unrestrained distain when I told him the hulk parked outside his plate glass shop was, honestly, a Land Rover. Ushered around the back to the repair department that was also clinical, a far more friendly mechanic smiled sadly and shook his head when I spoke the sacred words.

I was getting desperate, Jonathan was getting bored. Neither of us were prepared to give up. Stubborn bastards. A desperate phone call to a man in Lucca who I knew spoke English and liked Land Rovers turned up a name and number. One last call and the man at the end of the line spoke flawless English and said Yes, he had heard of a Pistola Stroboscopica. Yes he owned one and No we couldn't borrow it. But,Yes he was prepared for one of his mechanics to use it and tweak the timing for me.

After driving around a considerable swathe of costal Tuscany the address was welcomingly, on our way home. As we got close we realised it was the same specialist rally-prep shop we'd started in many hours earlier. The bloke on reception looked sheepish when the boss greeted us but his chief mechanic did the business and the engine was running like she should.

We never got our hands on a Pistola Stroboscopica though, he wouldn't let me hold his and I still haven't found one to buy. Anyone know the Arabic for strobe gun?

With thanks to Jonathan Martinelli for, yet again, being a good man in a storm.

Route, photos and more at www.thelongandwinding.co.uk

Comments

1

Huw, have you shrunk in the heat?

  Steve W May 9, 2010 7:42 PM

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.