Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

ch ch ch ch changes (rose)

ITALY | Thursday, 6 May 2010 | Views [520]

Our beloved truck underwent some serious home improvements back in Stiava, three weeks ago.

We sorted the overheating. We'd arrived in Italy with a mysterious but serious problem: every hill climb hoiked up the water temperature to almost boiling point. Putting the heater on helped but made it pretty uncomfortable in the cab; the idea of having to do the same as we drove through the desert in a few weeks' time was unthinkable. With Jonathan's help, we flushed, cleaned and refilled the radiator. On Martin's advice Huw drilled the thermostat, and, after days of searching, Huw and Jon found someone with a 'strobe gun' to 'tweak the timing'. Imagine trying to explain that in broken Italian. Together, these seemed to fix the overheating problem. Until just a few days ago here in Tunisia that is, but that's another story. 

We constructed an ingenious 'Heath Robinson' awning from sailing rope and a tarp. I also invented our outside table - you'll see it in the Tunisia pictures when they're up, as we've used it daily since leaving Italy. Of course I haven't let the boys forget that it was my idea.

The biggest transformation was the colour. When we changed her from cream to blue last summer, a multitude of problems followed. Huw hated it from the first brush stroke; it wasn't the serene sea-green I'd expected either. We found out mosquitoes and tsetse flies love blue, and shortly before we left the UK we discovered that all our truck paperwork stated the colour as 'beige'. Beige? Even the word sounds boring. But at that late stage, without waiting weeks and paying extra for replacement documents, we had to go with it. Gutted that the ultimate colour choice had, in the end, been taken out of our hands, we looked up the dreaded word. Beige: a pale brown/grey colour with a tinge of yellow or pink. At least that gave us some room for negotiation. I made the final choice: a genuine Land Rover shade 'Sahara Dust', a deeper colour than before, more mushroomy and warm somehow. We carried the tin from Leicestershire all the way to Stiava.

She now looks fairly military and is arguably similar to before, but Huw fell in love with her all over again and I have to agree she looks much better. There is one major bonus in my eyes too: because we don't want to attract too much of the wrong sort of attention at border crossings and police checkpoints, I can paint words on the side to soften her look, though I've been banned from doodling flowers, butterflies or spiral patterns. Jonathan suggested "If found, please return to..." and I'm considering painting our names above the windscreen - or is that too cheesy for words?

Route, photos and more at www.thelongandwinding.co.uk

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.