Existing Member?

thelongandwindingblog

under african skies (rose)

TUNISIA | Thursday, 6 May 2010 | Views [816]

Where to begin? We've been in Tunisia for two weeks now and it has totally blown me away. Here's why: 

You can be a visitor not a tourist.

Tunisia relies on tourism, and their model is to create a Zone Touristique at certain points on the coast. Cheap packages fly in hoardes of Germans, Poles, Russians and Brits, who generally stay in all-inclusive hotels. They enjoy the sun, sea and sand, and seem to have very little interaction with the local people. We're clearly not package tourists but certainly still foreigners so we've caused a bit of a stir. The reaction we're getting so far is overwhelmingly positive. Everyone is genuinely interested in us and what we're doing. This makes it far easier and more enjoyable to find out about them.

Finding somewhere to sleep is an adventure of its own.

They don't really 'do' campsites here: there are outdoor centres for kids which often let campervans stay over. Otherwise it's generally safe to sleep beside a port, by a beach, or in a field, provided you clear it first with the Guarde Nationale. The few accepted camping places that do exist are hard to find. Red triangles mark them on our map, but that seems arbitrary. We were lucky to meet Michael the overlanding German early on: it turned out he worked for Garmin and gave us co-ordinates of many more possible pitstops.

Even the coppers are nice.

Huw is skeptical by nature; I trust everyone wholeheartedly until they give me reason not to. It works well when travelling: I lead us into potentially risky situations he wouldn't entertain, and his suspicion prevents things going too far. On our first night, when we asked if we could camp by the beach, the local coppers insisted we sleep outside the cop shop instead. Huw was instantly wary, and more so the next morning when Mohammed jumped in and guided us to the nearest 'campsite', a scout centre in the next town. He showed us around: the beach, the supermarket, the patisserie, the internet cafe, and he wanted nothing. Huw couldn't believe it. Since then, the Guarde Nationale have popped up and quietly kept tabs on us as we've moved around the country. Always polite and friendly, they do seem genuinely concerned for our wellbeing. The only thing is, Tunisia has yet to show us there's anything to be concerned of.

It's not all dune and dusted. (Sorry, that's a bad one. Couldn't resist.)

In my ignorance, I'd imagined the landscape to consist of endless sand dunes, dotted with the occasional oasis. That might be true of the south, but it's definitely a country of two halves. When my parents arrived last week (luckily the volcano crisis was over in time for their flight) we headed out round the Cap Bon, "the garden of Tunisia", then along the north coast almost as far as Algeria and back to Tunis on the inland road. All along our route was lush vegetation, some wild, some tamed. Eucalyptus and olive trees in abundance, plus cypress and pines. And none of us could get over the flowers: dense carpets of yellow, purple and red spreading over entire fields. White butterflies led our way.

The French influence is everywhere.

I've found communication frustratingly difficult in Arabic countries, having inane non-conversations, smiling lots, with words screaming inside your head to get out. But in Tunisia everyone is bi-lingual, and with a little French you can have far more decent communication with people in shops, station ticket offices, taxi drivers, police, waiters. They also make wine and bake baguettes here, and in the patisseries croissants sit happily beside baklava.

Old men wear flowers in their hair.

I've not worked out why yet, I just love that they do.

They've got good ruins.

I'm not really one for archaeological site-seeing, but I appreciate a good stack of rocks when I see one. Last week we saw the Carthaginian village of Kerkouane, abandoned in the 2nd century BC and each house still with its red, pink and white mosaicked bathroom, the unique Roman underground town of Bulla Regia, and the dramatic hilltop city of Dougga which in the 4th century AD housed 10,000 people. Highlights were the Capitol, remarkably well preserved due to a fortification the Byzantines built around it, the communal toilets in the baths and the city brothel, named demurely at the site as 'The biggest house in Dougga'. Originally a stone with a relief of a phallus had stood outside the door to identify the building, but the authorities, "concerned for tourist sensibilities" moved it a few years ago.

You get ignored in the market.

Anyone who's walked through the souks in Egypt or Morocco might assume they'd be hassled in Tunisia. Think again. The markets here are colourful and vibrant as you'd expect, but also pleasant and, surprisingly, relaxing. Even the main stretch of the Tunis Medina is a joy to walk along. With mum and dad, we also went to the Sunday market at Korba, the Tuesday one at Bizerte and the Saturday one in Hammam Lif. At all of these it was a complete relief to feel that they really couldn't give a damn whether we were there or not. We weren't in the way, we weren't an attraction or someone to be ripped off. We were just shoppers, unusual ones at most, looking for a chopping board, a brush and dustpan, some mint.

You can hold hands in the street in Tunis, just about.

The attitude here to public displays of affection is hardly liberal, but it's not bad. In the cities it seems things are changing, and (we're both aware of the the dangers of offending our hosts) it seems that a little touching is ok. We've seen young lovers holding hands on the train and couples alone on quiet streets.

Women here have greater equality than elsewhere in the Arab world.

They work alongside men in many professions and we've seen women in police and military uniforms. Young girls love their skinny jeans and Converse trainers. From what we've seen of the north, maybe two thirds don't cover their heads, and some show their arms. Huw spotted one lady with a sexy off-the-shoulder number. Trust him! Skin stands out like a sore thumb: I cringe when I see a group of tourists in town in spaghetti-strap tops and shorts: bare legs are never shown by locals, they seem to be the last taboo. 

Route, photos and more at www.thelongandwinding.co.uk

About huw-and-rose


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tunisia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.