Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Red Man, Green Man

GERMANY | Sunday, 29 July 2007 | Views [625]

Can I continue to be any more fortunate? My dear friend Stephanie Johnson has opened her wonderful flat to me, which happens to be in an extremely cool part of town, in walking distance to more than i could ever take advatnage of. The first week here I had my own room even. Now their 3rd roommate from the States has arrived and I'm on a pallet in Steph's room. Still not so bad.

Berlin - well, everyone i met at hostels always got this special voice when talking about it. [casual] 'Yeah, europe's great. My trip's been great' [lean in, deepened tone for added seriousness, the 'look' from under arched eyebrows]'But Berlin!...' The fans loved it. And I think its Ok too. If my heart hadn't been stollen by the Czech Republic, and Prague weren't the most stunningly beautiful city ever, I may be a little more impressed by Berlin. Nonetheless, it is wonderful here. Especially if you like chic shopping and graffiti.

Highlights: being with Steph - it's always and adventure. When she's not being a smart-ass (which is always very funny) she's just a great friend. Aw. Also, big news: I found a pay-per-day printmaking studio here! And its really cheap and really well-equiped. This fish is back in water there. I actually 'go to work' in the mornings now - when's the last time that happened? Day 1 I rocked, day 2 i hit a wall, and then last night i sliced my thumb, so I took today (day 3) off. But I'm back on the horse tomorrow.


There are a number of subtle remnants of the East-West division of Berlin. Steph says she can tell by the way people dress where their from. I think she's just using that as an excuse to check people out. But other people can tell by the little red and green men on the pedestrian traffic lights. Easterners are squaty and wear a hats while Westerners are slender and boring. But now the West has decided they like squatty guys too, so they're all kind of mixed in. This too is symbolic.

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.