Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Brno? and, Normal?

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 23 July 2007 | Views [583]

One thing I have been thoroughly schooled on during my time in the Czech Republic is the myriad differences between Bohemia and Moravia (basically east and west CR) - not the least of which is the primary beverage produced: Bohemia = Beer (home of Pilsner and Budwieser), while Moravia = wine (and we thought it was just 100 year prayer meetings). It was my great pleasure to be personally educated by a wonderful community of young people in the Moravian town of Brno (pronounce 'burno').

According to my MO, I followed a little bunny trail and it lead me to Rudolf, my new favorite artist friend. Wild-haired, 100% pure bred Moravian art man!

The weekend began (after a short interlude at a underground pub, of course, which he partially owns, of course) with Night of Magic in the park - with 30 of his best friends (i know what you people were thinking). After approximately 1 second of akwardness after being introduced to raised eyebrows as 'from Texas', I was enveloped into the picnic blanket community of revolutionaries and progressive thinkers, recycling femenists and world travellers. Could I be more at home? I was blessed with a wonderful translator, Jana, who was my little window into this fabulous group. The party really started when the guitars were busted out and round after rousing round of czech folk songs, local band favorites, and a little Manu Chau, ensued, complete with EVERYONE (including yours truly) singing along, dancing, clapping, leaping through trees and across grassy slopes. I'll never be the same.

And that was just the beginning.

They inundated me with questions. Things like, 'Do you consider yourself more Texan or American?' And 'Have you seen 'What's Eating Gilbert Grape?'. Among them were plenty of questions cirlcling the theme of how 'typical' am I in Texas? I asked if I came across as unfriendly there, and Richard (with a gotee past his belly button) exclaimed emphatically, raised eyebrows and raised voice, 'No! To us you're Totally NORMAL!' This struck me as extrodinary as it struck him. When has that ever happened?

Tags: On the Road

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.