Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Unexpected sweetness

SPAIN | Wednesday, 20 June 2007 | Views [670]

(Again, my apologies for not keeping up with my stories. Things won't necessarily be in order, but at least here's a little somethings.)

So, after Egypt, on June 1, I headed to meet my good friend Angie in Granada. Had no idea what I was in for. In the bus on the way from Madrid to Granada I wondered, 'What am i doing here?' As if in direct answer to  my musing, I lifted my gaze out the window to a burning orange glow on the night horizon and witnessed the most breath-taking moonrise I have seen in my life. I now know that it is called 'duende' (or something like that) - this spell that this land casts on you. That was merely the first of my many breath-taking experiences.

Granada is overlooked by an incredible fortress on the central hill, built by the Moors, call La Alhambra. My hostel was on the hill directly across from this. The many times I got lost wandering the winding cobblestone streets, I could never get too frustrated because it was just so dang beautiful. everywhere. Arabic flavor was everywhere - from beautiful Islamic geometric tile work to Middle Eastern food stalls, it was an amazing Europe meets Arab mix.

Angie had picked up a new friend in Madrid too: Franco, the Argentine. He was a fun addition to the mix. We explored, wandered, ate tapas and drank wine as well as spent countless hours sitting on our butts drinking in the views. There was also, believe it or not, some incredible graffitti work there as well. An artist known as El Nino apparently has free reign there. All inspiring and wonderful.

Two highlights: blood-boiling Flamenco (which I have a very lame picture of), and a lovely visit to a little beach in Salabreno. My first time in the Med. One of many places I've been on my journey where one is perfectly content to just sit, all day. (and not take any pictures).

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.