Existing Member?

at home in the world Welcome to my chronicle. I have embarked on my 'global art studio tour' (GAST). Who knows how long i'll be gone or where exactly it will take me. I hope to meet as many artists, see as many studios, and make as much art work as possible before my return. If you wish to sponsor me, you will receive a peice of artwork, of your choice, after my return at the value of which you sponsor me. (does that make sense?) Put another way, you can pre-purchase artwork from me, if you would like. The two ways to get money to me are (1)Send it to my parents who will deposit it: c/o Ron & Janine Parrish, 9102 Towanna Tr., Austin, TX 78736, USA. OR (2) email me (via this website) for Paypal information. (my account is under my email address, if you already have that.) Thanks so much. Please comment as freely and frequently as you wish on articles and picture. ~heather

Variations on 'Well Fed'

SINGAPORE | Tuesday, 22 May 2007 | Views [523]

I hatched the concept for this article on Sunday night, after my first full day in Singapore.

I had just returned from the National Gallery (conveniently in walking distance). I was more than 'well fed' in the consuming incredible art all day sense. Finally my luck was changing, and I landed here while a show of engravings from the Louver in Paris is on exhibit. Phenomenal engravings of national treasures like the Mona Lisa, and much more. There were also works by various Asian artist whith quite a bit of focus along the lines of 'where east meets west'. Right up my alley. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours at another show: 100 prints by Picasso! Incredible! I like his prints more than most of his other work. Totally inspiring. I haven't been the 'well fed' in this way on the entire trip. But it made me think of the other places I've been.

In Thailand I was well fed in the literal sense. Staying with incredible hosts, I don't think I could've eaten more or better if I had tried!!

Indonesia- well, I guess I would say I was relationally well-fed, in a variety of ways. I haven't mentioned this before on the journal (one of the millions of experiences that have slipped through the cracks), but 2 days before I left, in Malang, I followed up on a contact that Pak Devy, the printmaker in Bandung, gave me. I had the distinct pleasure of spending a couple of days with Syerief, a Madurese man who is one of 2 curators in East Java. A young man with a vision for seeing the artistic potential of his region tapped and manifested. He is very well-read, kindred in idealism, involved in (or maybe the head of) a very active, interesting group of artists. Some American friends who live in Malang joined me as well. I think we all agree on our feeling regarding meeting Syerief that can best be said as 'blessed'. Also, dipping into the community of our friends from Austin living there in Indonesia was very rich for me! Not to mention getting some very quality and wonderful time with my sister. I felt like Indonesia was overall a feast for all my senses and soul.

Before I left, there were many words of encouragement from friends regarding my trip. One was the sense that I would be well fed by the hand of God along the whole way. I would never have to worry. And its true. Very thankful.

Tags: On the Road

 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.