Existing Member?

2inspire...and Binspired In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take

Adventures in moshiland-Day 1

USA | Sunday, 6 May 2012 | Views [542] | Comments [2]

place of rest

place of rest

Sunday is a very casual day here in Moshi. I didn't sleep well- uncomfortable bunk, new roommates, strange sounds. So I got up early and had breakfast at 7:30. The cook, Hdije, makes a mean omelette FILLED with onions haha...Man, I don't like onions. I can't tell you how grateful I am that I brought my Isagenix shakes! There was also instant coffee and some kind of Nestle milk product to use as a creamer. My favorite, though, is the "fat spread". I guess it's either butter or margarine.  But they don't hide what it is. It's a fat spread.

Our beautiful house leader, Frank, took us all into Moshi town. Showed us some of the local places to shop and eat. I can tell you now, it will be a LOT of walking. We are called Mzungu (white people) and the little kids yell it at us as they run toward us and wave. Learning the greetings are a bit confusing but I think I'm getting a hang of it. Mambo or Jambo (Hi) is answered with "poa" which means "ok, or "cool". Haberi (hello) is answered by Mzuri (good). There is a lot of mud from the rains that came late this year so I know I'll be filthy. But it's all part of the adventure. The evenings generally consist of having a beer at our local pub (that's actually in our compound), getting to know each other better, and heading to bed. Tomorrow we get to see our different options for volunteering.  

Comments

1

Thanks for taking the time to update us on your journey, sis! It certainly gives us comfort. Love you!

  Matt May 10, 2012 5:53 AM

2

I so love hearing about what you are doing. With tears in my eyes, I feel the needs there in Moshi and just know you will figure out where they need the most help. Just being there to help the teacher I'm sure is such a blessing to her.
Your posts help us to feel a part of your journey. So proud of you that you stepped out of your comfort zone to help others.
Those precious little faces get to me. I'm sure that by you being there makes them feel very loved.
Love you and pray for continued blessings on your trip.

  Joy Dunn May 12, 2012 12:11 AM

About honeyknuckles

this is soooo LA :)

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.