Existing Member?

You Only Live Once My adventures through East Africa. Kenya, Tanzania & Uganda. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into!

Say Goodbye Kenya -- Hello Jon!

TANZANIA | Friday, 29 June 2007 | Views [2117] | Comments [1]

Elephant that we ran head into as we rounded a corner and came around a tree.  Our Driver/Guide Isaac was a little freaked out - but it made for some awesome pictures.

Elephant that we ran head into as we rounded a corner and came around a tree. Our Driver/Guide Isaac was a little freaked out - but it made for some awesome pictures.

Three days and we covered a lot of ground.  6 hours out of Nairobi into the Maasi Mara.  Imagine driving 6 hours where the major obsticle in the road is the road itself.  I'm not kidding.  we drove at least half of the way out there on the dirt shoulder of a highway that is riddled with holes and pretty much impassable.  

We arrived on monday in time for an evening game drive.  this was really just getting our feet wet (wet with zebras, cheetas & wildebeasts, etc).  The next day we had a full day in the reserve - i can't begin to describe how many animals we saw and how unbelievable it was to see them up close and in the wild.  Pictures to come.  (I know I keep saying that - but i am trying -- technology is lacking a little around these parts, so pls. bare with me).

Anyway, following a fabulous 3 days, we trecked back to Nairobi for one night and headed out early yesterday on what was scheduled to be a 10-12 hr. bus ride (but in actuality was a 16 hr. trip) south to Tanzania.  We arrived around 11pm and met up with Jon with no problems at all.

So now all the gang's all together.  We'll be around Dar Es Salam for the weekend and then we'll head to Zanzibar for about a week on Sunday.

Can't wait!  It's been what I've been looking forward to the most.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Hill - all of this sounds INCREDIBLE. Not only am I ridiculously jealous reading this at my desk in the middle of a gorgeous day but everything I watch on tv (i.e. Big Cat Country or Man vs. Wild) I think about how lucky you are to be seeing all of this in real life. Keep having an amazing time and to quote a wise elder "BE SAFE".
Love ya.

  Rem Jul 2, 2007 10:11 PM

About hnmenk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.