Existing Member?

You Only Live Once My adventures through East Africa. Kenya, Tanzania & Uganda. I hope I know what I'm getting myself into!

Shabbat., Tea, a Tarp & Safari

KENYA | Monday, 25 June 2007 | Views [1261] | Comments [2]

feeling good about the instillation of our new tarp (purchased for a whopping 600 Ksh. -- $9 US -- we paid too much!)  This was officially the last day that Chaim liked the tarp.

feeling good about the instillation of our new tarp (purchased for a whopping 600 Ksh. -- $9 US -- we paid too much!) This was officially the last day that Chaim liked the tarp.

So Shabbat worked out really nicely.  We set our tent up - and somehow rigged up our new (read - new to us but defintely used by someone before) tarp as a fly.  We were glad to have it cause it rained most of friday night and we stayed dry! 

Sat during the day we went on a pre-arranged tour of the tea plantation surrounding the property of the hotel.  we learned all about kenyan tea production - pretty interesting.  Then our guide took us down to see the river that cuts through the plantation.  He called it a "stream"  but I feel confident calling it a river.  he took us on a bit of an unorthodox route which involved leaping over big marshy/muddy areas and sneaking  through a barbed wire fence -- all in all a good time.

The rest of the time we just enjoyed the amentities of the hotel including their swimming pool.  The whole place was really kind of funny - picture a cross between an English Manor Home and a Catskills resort from the 60's which hasn't undergone renovations since.  So, it was fancy and quirky and slightly dillapitated.

Yesterday we took a bus from Kericho back to Nairobi.  We decided to travel in style -- Bus!  This time we went with a much more reputable company called Easy Coach. Assigned seats and all!  So - our scheduled 10:30 bus got took off at 12:30pm (that's what they call Africa time).  It worked out well though.  Our bags were stored securely below so we were much more comfortable for teh 5+ hour ride and we were only moderately concerned with someone stealing them.

Somewhere on the busride I realized that we had left our "new" tarp at the station in Kericho.  So, in line with everything that makes absolutely no sense to our north american concept of reality - we were able to have someone call the kericho office for us - who then put our tarp on the next nairobi bound bus.  then we got a text msg. last night to tell us that it arrived.  we picked it up at 7:30 this morning.  As crazy as this place is, they take their "customer care" pretty seriously - which is additoinally amuzing to us after a year in Israel where there is no suc thing.

So now we're in Nairobi were we will take off on our safari for the next three days.  So, I'll have lot's to share next time I get to a computer.

And, I promise - pictures next time (i just keep forgetting my cord).

Tags: Lost!

Comments

1

Sounds pretty amazing, Hil. Keep those messages and stories coming. I can't wait to see pictures!
Sending lots of love from Newark :-)

  Jenna Jun 25, 2007 11:30 PM

2

i'm just catching up! sounds like all is wild and well...hope it stays that way. thinking of you!

  adena Jun 29, 2007 1:51 PM

About hnmenk


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.