Existing Member?

The Awesome Adventures of Hannah and Emma

Reflections on the UK OR How to compare your life to the Lord of the Rings Trilogy

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 23 March 2010 | Views [556] | Comments [2]

When you return to the daily grind, otherwise known as reality, sometimes it takes a while to get back into the swing of things. It’s been difficult, and there have been some changes to our expected life plans. None of which I think need to be discussed here. Remember this is a hilarious blog, not a sixteen year old girl’s diary.Oh but maybe that was just me?

Emma told me the other day, in her usual sage and wise demeanor...you know....very Gandalf the Grey to Bilbo styles, minus the beard and weird homoerotic undertones, that “life is like crossing a street in Hanoi, sometimes you just have to close your eyes and go for it”.......I know, right? Amazing line. Epic line. It will be in films. Its been copyrighted. We keep telling everyone that we should have a t.v show or a book. Seriously.

It then only just hit me that we had moved to a country. We aren’t just traveling anymore. Things aren’t going to be easy. I just kind of expected everything to fall into place. But it’s going to be difficult. Ergo, Emma and I are Sam and Frodo climbing Mount Doom, which would make Jo...Gollum? Hmmm sometimes the comparison doesn’t work very well. Lets ignore that one....Jo is wayyy better looking and nowhere near as crazy about rings.

Oh, FYI, Jo is our base in Edinburgh. She is pretty much the most awesome person you will ever meet, and has allowed us to crash at her house while we (or maybe just me) figure things out. I don’t know if there will ever be anyway for us to thank her. But we will try to think of something. Over the past few weeks, I have come to realize that although unemployed, I have some of the best people in my life right now. Everyone has been really supportive. I don’t know what I would have done without it (and that’s as mushy as I am going to get there).

I have one of the best friends in the world. Friendship might be tested by the frustrations of travel or the changing of life plans. But not this one. Friendship is being able to sit on a park bench for an hour laughing like lunatics (I stress the lunatic part), or being able to drink a box of wine (no judgement), or discussing Halloween costumes involving Aladdin and the Genie (yes, its going to happen and it will be awesome), or making sure our future children will look like a Benetton ad (no pressure, Ems), or crying at romantic parts in films and then pretending it didn’t happen (too many to mention). You, dearest blog readers, only hear about the funny parts. Mostly because there’s a lot of hilarious times that must be shared to boost our street cred. But we know how to be serious, and are focused on making sure we have amazing lives. So please don’t worry, (parents, especially). Hey, if Frodo got the Ring to Mordor, Emma and I are going to be as the Scots like to say, just grand!

Comments

1

Ways that we are way more awesome than Sam and Frodo:
a) we wear shoes
b) we don't whine and cry all the time
c) we are totally going to get to Mordor while simultaneously consuming boxes of wine
d) we are the creators of a (soon to be) hit internet sensation
e) noone would EVER fastforward through our part of a film. EVER.

<3

  Emma Mar 24, 2010 12:03 AM

2

love the lord of the rings pardoy. In addition crossing the street with your eyes shut may be a little risky but i'm sure you'd both survive.
One flaw in your story ... Frodo is one crazy mother, so to compare yourselves to someone of his stature could be detrimental??
all jokes aside i'm sure you'll both survive ... in each others company! :)

  Bobby Mar 25, 2010 12:41 PM

About hannahandemma


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.