Existing Member?

Ranch Life Adventures

the longest day of my life (so far), and day 1 on the ranch

USA | Friday, 16 October 2009 | Views [459] | Comments [2]

So I have arrived in Texas, and i'm having a great time. 

But first i should let you know about the flights.

After a long night packing and doing all the last minute tidying, Essie, Rudo and I were up by 7 and on the road in half an hour to get to the airport. And i have to say for going through peak traffic i think we made quite good time. 

finally after all the waiting, we're on the plane and about to leave! Excitement overload, my only dread was that i was squished between 2 people on a row of 4. :( i did not want to spend the next 13?14ish hours like that. 

Thankfully the flight was not full so people were allowed to spread out after take off, and the couple to my left quickly did so. leaving me and 1 other with 4 seats. Making the long haul over the pacific a nice experience, thanks to the extra i got to stretch. 

The Layover @ LAX was uneventful, though my accent did slow down the order of my frappacino.... 

My next flight was a little more interesting, it started out like the other. I got to my seat, and thought to myself 'if this is full its not going to be very comfy" but once again i was able to have a spare seat next to me so i could stretch my legs out. 

Although the local time was only midday/1 o'clock when we boarded, i felt like i'd just pulled an all nighter. I'd had some sleep on the qantas flight, but it was broken and not much. So about a half hour into this flight i was out like a light. I woke up maybe a half hour before landing. And here comes the good part :)

So as i'm looking out the window, the passenger infront goes: 

-Its amazing isn't it?

-yeah, beautiful. I reply. 

conversation flows along the lines of where we are from, and he mentions that he lived in Australia for a year. To which I ask:

-What part of OZ did you stay in?

-Gold Coast, we filmed a movie. He replies. And at that point i recognised that he was Peter Pan! :D but alas i didn't get a chance to ask for a photo with him because his travelling buddy said something and he turned to the front again. 

Not long after we landed, where i was met by Ralph and and a reminder of home in the temp being 92(?) and high humidity. It was hot and sticky - imagine queensland on a hot summers night :) 

So that was it, after around 26hrs of travel, and a few hours unwinding with Ralph and Sara I eventually got to sleep in a real bed. And i Slept very, very well. 

Day1

First order of business today was to find me some boots. So off we head to the store for gumboots so i can get around since the rain has brought alot of mud. 

I am now the proud owner of a pair of black steel capped rubber boots. when we asked for gumboots we were given a questioning look, a quick explanation, 'Ohhh rubber boots, right this way'.

Once home they were put to good use as we herded some cattle from paddock to another. 

I think the best part of today was going out on the quad bike. though maybe we should rename it the 'mud bike', yes photos will eventually be put up until then i'll leave you imagination to reason why...

I'm loving it all, it feels so natural getting into everything, (maybe not so much for my muscles;) but they'll get used to it) I'm so glad i've come, and i'm looking forward to every minute!

Comments

1

hey sis! <3 love ya blog! im gunna be checking it regularly, so you'd better write so more often! :P LOVE YOU!! MISS YOU!!!

  your lil sis :) Oct 16, 2009 9:53 AM

2

opps i ment 'write often' :) love you!!

  your lil sis :) Oct 16, 2009 9:54 AM

About hadassah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.