Existing Member?

Ranch Life Adventures

Beautiful bambino: "Angel of the Morning"

USA | Wednesday, 25 November 2009 | Views [786]

Sunday morning, we woke to a foggy misty morning. It was a relaxing day, we had a couple of chores that needed to be done, but other then that we could just glide through the day - and for once the plan went ahead! haha

I got up and started the fire for breakfast, well stoked the lingering coals back into flames. The air was cold - maybe about 10oC, but it was mostly still - you could easily see your breath and the fire was a perfect size to stand by to keep warm.

Now some of you have been lucky enough to have one of my Sunday Specials breakfast, with scrambled eggs, bacon, marinated &roasted tomatoes and toast.... oh it tastes so good :) Now imagine that with all farm fresh, natural mostly home grown ingredients - wonderful! :)

I'm gonna jump back on my soapbox to reiterate just how good it is to eat local foods. Its not just a better taste, better colour, better for your local economy, better for your health - its good for your soul. yeah, there's something special about knowing the life of your food, a satisfaction in knowing that this food really truly is chemical free. I dare you to try it - start with growing some herbs, maybe a little tomato plant, buy local free range eggs and see if you feel better. Make sure you prepare your meal with love, and no stress. Its so hard to find words for the feeling but you'll know it. ;) The quality of your meal isn't just from the quality of your ingredients, the quality of your culinary skills - it stems from your attitude as you approach the preparation, your attitude to the source of your food. Don't eat for the sake of eating, take care and attention to what you eat  - you're feeding your spirit to.....

Anyway i digress - the point - we had a wonderful morning, first in nature, then at church. I like going to Grace church, it reminds me of my childhood, the songs we sing. [does anyone else remember the actions to 'Celebrate Jesus'?? he is risen he is Risen, come on and celebrate.. the resurrection of the Lord....hehe Sara was glad i refrained from doing the actions] And the preaching is straight from the word of God.


One of my favourite parts of Sunday, other then a leisurely breakfast with friends/family, is how the fellowship keeps flowing after the service. Sara and I went to Carrasco's for lunch with Clarence and Gail. :) I really have to say, in case you haven't picked it up, is that Sunday's have this particular feel to them - people are more relaxed, and its just the best day of the week :D

With such a start to the day, it was easy to think it couldn't get any better, a nice nanna nap and then do the last couple of ranch chores before an easy dinner... well here at Wild Type there's always a surprise around the corner - and this was a lovely one :) Our first calf of the season was born! These girls aren't actually due until early December but little Angel decided to join us early :)

We made the discovery on the way home from church, as we drove past the paddock we noticed that one of the mumma's was far from the rest of the herd - a sign that something has happened {good or bad} and should always be checked. So we grabbed a bag of cubes for the other cows {a nice treat} and headed off to check - hoping that the creek had gone down enough since the rains that we would be able to cross. Alas we could cross in Al, the  mud was just a little too soft for us to cross, so we left Al on the home side of the creek and walked across - the water coming to about 2?inches from the tops of our wellies.

Now that's a strange feeling - the buoyancy of normally heavy steel capped boots as the current rushes by, the air bubble straining against you to reach the surface.....

But we made it across - no one falling in. {Though for one of the crossings i did make sure to have my camera ready- just in case ;)}

As we walked towards mother and calf their natural instincts, wariness of people was working well, and they lead us in a circle around the paddock. Eventually curiosity won out and the beautiful little bambino came to us :D Its hard to properly express in text the feelings i felt. Joy, awe, wonder, amazement, reverence, a touch of caution - some of these mumma's are dangerously protective. But 6117, and Morning Angel were so mellow, Sara was able to walk up to her and easily tagged her.

We wanted to make sure we got it done sooner then later in case some of the others came early as well - we don't want to miss-tag them! Its also easiest in the first 24hrs before the flight reflex really starts to kick into gear.....

Little Morning Angel was so lovely, taking little runs and jumps with just a little touch of wobbliness in her back legs (imagine the scene as Bambi starts to run around :D)

And she is so tiny, Sara was able to lift her to get a guesstimate on her weight - she's barely 50pounds [I'm sorry i can't convert that easily - the sacks of cubes come in 50pounds.... if that helps any]


Oh the joy at seeing this little calf - only hours old! and I got to feel her!!! :D :D Her fur is sooo soft, and luscious. Oh it gives you this warm and fuzzy feeling inside. Its such an emotive moment, I really don't think I've given it justice in words - its an experience that truly cannot be properly described -but I've tried ;) 


Now the first calf born, by tradition, is always named by the current guest - the pressure was on to pick a good name! As we were in the field we were thinking of 'Tiny Dancer' [from the song in Almost Famous] and it was a pretty good fit for her, but not quite right.

As we were driving back from town (again) the song 'Angel of the Morning' came on - almost just as we drove past their paddock. So Morning Angel got her name, it felt so right for her, being born on such an ethereal morning.... :D

well i hope you can feel some of what i feel, and enjoy the pictures!!  -{the "Bambini" album}

About hadassah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.