Existing Member?

Ranch Life Adventures

Thanksgiving Weekend

USA | Wednesday, 2 December 2009 | Views [486]

Thursday last was Thanksgiving. After a quick Wikipedia introduction the evening before i was ready to be introduced to some of the traditions.

The original Thanksgiving was a celebration feast with the pilgrims and Indians. The tradition continued in thanks for the harvest feast that saved the pilgrims from the harsh, brutal winter, becoming an annual tradition since 1863. 

In lead up to the day I spent time contemplating how all of it fits together, to find the spirit of Thanksgiving. Like most western holidays it has been commercialised, with cards and decorations but underneath it all the heart of Thanksgiving beats strong and loud. 

A Thankful heart.

Sure its a great time for a long weekend, to see friends and family, but its not just that. Not just the turkey, pumpkin pie, cranberries and all the other dishes of the feast - but the hearts of family and friends coming together. Thats what I liked most. There's no expensive gifts, just people working as one to accomplish a task [this task being fixing dinner].

It makes you warm inside to sit down to a meal that has been put together by many, to know that from start to finish the food has been grown and prepared with thought,care and attention. We were lucky enough to have picked a bountiful harvest of fresh tomatoes, beans and green onions {eschallots}, the turkey itself came fresh from a friends farm - our meal was either from our garden, locally sourced and at the very least from within Texas. This in itself is something I'm greatly thankful for, in the city its very rare to actually know who raised your food.

Though we should all try to be thankful everyday for what we have I really like how here the time is taken out of each year, and everyone is given the chance to really stop, think and bask in the blessings of the year.

All-in-all I believe that it is not the food provided, but the love that prepares and serves it, which makes Thanksgiving what it is.

I am thankful that there is a day to take the focus off of ourselves,and open our eyes to the world around us.

  • I am thankful for good health - in my family and I
  • I am thankful that God still works miracles
  • I am thankful for this opportunity to discover my strengths
  • I am thankful that I have provisions, shelter and love

What are you thankful for?

About hadassah


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.