Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

Maras & Moray

PERU | Monday, 2 December 2013 | Views [695]

So the weekend has come and gone. I decided to go and visit a couple more touristic sites before I leave Cusco. I made a trip to Maras & Moray. The first site was a very interesting Inca site. It was what they called an experimental agricultural site. It consisted of stone wall circles at different levels. Apparently it was used by the Incas to adapt plants to different. Temperatures and hights. Each circle had a different ambient temperature and between the bottom circle and the top circle there could be a difference of up to 15c! So it's impressive how intelligent the Inca's where to think of something like that. They were able to adapt crops that grew at lower altitudes thanks to this archeological creation.
The second sight is Moray, a pre-inca salt mine. Impressive to see as it is situated in a canyon, the salt baths are filled from a warm water creek which is coming from underground. Trying the water makes yiu realise indeed how salty that water is. They produced enough salt to export to all of Peru. And mix it with a lot of herbs and spices to add variety.
After the visit I decided to grab a cheap lunch in a local restauran, with no ide to ehat I was eating... And then just chill at the hostel with a book and deciding what I would like to do on my last day in Cusco.

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.