Existing Member?

Rebel with a cause 6 weeks, 2 countries, 4 climates and just myself to explore :-)!

A trip up Cotopaxi

ECUADOR | Wednesday, 30 October 2013 | Views [166]

After a restless night in a new place i woke up bright and early to a room with a view. Stunning sights of the mountains. Sun not quite out and a few clouds in horizon.
Breakfast served at 7.30am. Delicious breakfast of fruit salad, banana pancake with chocolate drizzle over it and freshly made fruit juice. Let's just say that if you stayed in this location for many days you would be growing a spare tire quickly.... :-)
Today i've signed up for The cotopaxi day tour. Which basically means driving up to the mountain to the height of 4500metres (aprox 15000feet) and walking up from there to the incredible height of 5000m (16000feet). So needless to say a short walk but a challenge due to the ability of your body, primarely your lungs and heart, to adapt to those conditions.
Weather was not the best to be honest, but all I could concentrate in doing was putting one foot in front of the other and not have my heart come out of my mouth. It felt as if it was going 1000revolutions too fast.... But, I made it! Both to the refuge for a hot chocolate and cake, and then to start of one of the glaciers on The Cotopaxi Mountain.
The way down was much less harder of course. Incredible experience though and would recommend it to anyone. For those a lot more adventurous than me, you can actually climb to the top of The Cotopaxi. Total height being 5894m. Another 6h walk from where I was, on ice and with crampons :-).
Back at the hostel a lot of people have left today leaving a small group of just 4 of us! So a nice soak in the hot tub, home made pizza (off which one of the toppings on one consistent of goats cheese and mango), followed by chocolate cake and laying on the sofa by the fire place make for one hell of a day.

 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.