Existing Member?

Conner's Big Adventure 2017

NZ - North Island Part 1 - The Bach

NEW ZEALAND | Saturday, 22 April 2017 | Views [638]

THE BACH

This “traditional Kiwi bach” was both homey and quirky. Surrounded by a wide green lawn and a massive wrap around deck, the outside was perfect for hanging out and playing. Also, there was a playground right outside our front door so Conner got to walk across the street and play anytime he wanted and I could see and hear him from anywhere in the bach. The outside looked very cabin like, though well kept, with weathered wood siding and tin roofs. The interior was clean, bright, colorful, and full of tasteful yet personal touches from the family and friends who spent many summers there. The layout of the bach I will admit was a bit strange. The kitchen and living room are in one building with a bathroom (a very nice bathroom) that has to be accessed by going outside around the side of the building. The bedrooms are in a separate building with the storage shed. Odd, sure, but nothing about it made our stay unbearable. Much to our Alaskan born child’s confusion we had to be thrifty with water since the entire area is on rainwater and we were at the end of a dry summer. Yes I know, I just said we had a huge storm with massive flooding, but we had no way of knowing how much water was actually in the tanks and it was good education for him anyway. Another side effect of the storm was a seriously creepy amount of BUGS! Every time it rained while we were there the local insects fled the soggy and windy outdoors and congregated on the walls and ceilings of every room in the bach. Yuck. Luckily not too many of them were nibbling bugs, so we didn't get too terribly eaten. This did however make one particluar observation we had painfully apparent. So far as we saw on the South and North islands, screens are altogether unknown in New Zealand. How does a place that gets so hot in the summer not have screens?? I forgot to ask while we were there.... To make up for the strange layout and the neverending supply of bugs, this place came fully loaded. There were tons of games and puzzles in the house (Conner’s new favorite game is a toss-up between charades and Cranium) and the shed was an absolute goldmine of entertainment! Beach toys, mats, and chairs, boogie boards, skim boards, bocce ball set, croquet, dart board, BBQ grill. With the beach across the street and the big lawn area all the way around the bach we had endless options for fun times. Another important feature of the bach was the giant aloe plants growing all around the house. Very handy for the first few full beach days when we lost the last of our Alaskan pale skin! Funny thing, we all played croquet together and we thought we would give Conner a double handicap, two strokes for every one of ours. Yeah that was a joke. He kicked our asses! I think we have finally found a sport that Conner is not totally lost in :-). This place was a true fun house and we felt very lucky to be able to stay here.

Tags: bugs, kiwi bach, toys

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.