Existing Member?

Edge of Chaos 2011/2012

Tyrona national park, looseness (11-16 may)

COLOMBIA | Tuesday, 17 May 2011 | Views [600]

On wednesday lach and i decided to head out to tyrona national park. we didnt really do any reasearch or have anyidea what we were going to do out there but it turned out to be a cracking couple of days. We casught the mini bus from the hostel and were immediately despised by everone else on the bus as we got the 2 best seats..ha..It was a stinking hot dy and everyone was sweating profusly on the mini van..the drive took about 1 hr from taganaga and when we got to the park entrance we had to mess around for 40 mins to get our passes..once that was out of the way we disembarked the van and to our surprise found out it was a 1hr 40min walk through the jungle to get to the beaches (the beauty of naievty)..we treked and sweatted our way through the junglwe which was beautiful..lush green folage, vines, boulders etc..

The track was fairley boggy though as horses often make the joourney..we emerged onto the first beach (which is unswimale due to currents) and were amazded at the natural beauty of the place..the rainforest and mountains meeting with white sand and large boulders..it was truely breathtaking..it looked like the island from the tv show lost..!! the beauty hides the danger though and over 100 ppl have drowned at the beach..

we continued hiking up the coast for another 5 ks and saw some more beautiful beaches and coves..we decided that the best place for us to stay was back at the first beach so after we had done some exploring we headed back there..we negotiated our hammock prices with the manager and ended up in a small hut surrounded by mosquito nets..the park reaaly was idyllicly simple, with palm trees, cold water showers, sand and tents, all overlooking the amazing beach..we chilled that evening on the verandah, reading out books and having a few beers..we made the mistake of not taking enough money so i sacrificed dinner and breakfast for a few cold beers..good decision..

The next morning we awoke to he sound of waves and birds..perfect!..i went for a stroll around the point and had a swim (only up to my waist) to the dismay of the life guard who could understand why i didnt take notice of the 900 warning signs..we read our books on the beach for a few hours then headed back up the same track we came whcih was equally as tranquil second time round..

THat night we had c night in and had dinner at a nice little restauraunt..the boys got back on friday and after a week of partying everyone went pretty wild..the boys got a flat up the road as there was no vacancy in the hostel and it was an epic night..well it didnt really come to an end..it flowed into saturday which flowed into sunday..we went to some crazy little clubs filled with angry colombians and out of control gringos..some interesting stories naturally produced. i hooked up with the owner of our hostel, 45 yrs at her youngest, but french and youthful all the same..tony met a interesting german girl who kept climbing the tree next to the apartment to feed the cats corn flakes, lach and will ended up in some old persons home at 11 in the morning, we were the only ppl in the pool at the israeli hostel, it was just chaos..but with only 6 nights o go there was plenty of reasons to roll with it..

An epic few days which will no doubt take time to get over, luckily we have air con..back to cartagena for our last 3 nights in SA on tuesday..it will be a nice way to finish the trip!!

Also running out of money, probably lucky we are leavin when we are..its not over yet though and we will give cartagena a run for its money..yeeew!!

About grizzly_bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.