Existing Member?

Edge of Chaos 2011/2012

Taganga (fishing, snorkelling and spear fishing) 2/5-3/5

COLOMBIA | Wednesday, 4 May 2011 | Views [1871]

On monday morning the 6 lads all headed off on our "boys day out"..we stocked up with beers, jumped on the small fishing boat and headed out of taganga harbour..it was a cracking morning and flying across the glassy water with the sunrising at our backs was a serrine experience. 

We started the day off by doing some trawling, which ultimately proved unsuccessful..the success came when we anchored off a small island and started casting away...altogether we caughth around 15 fish (of which i contributed none) and the guides contributed 11..it was clear that skill was going to play some role in the day and they showed plenty, reeling in several barracuda, red snapper and a variety of reef fish.

Once we had caught our fill we headed off to a beautiful little section of reef and did some snorkelling and for my first time spear fishing..the spear fishing was alot of fun although i think a little intentionally i missed the majority of my targets, with finding nemo playing a constant nemisis to my ancestral desire to hunt..we didnt actullay end up spearing any (the spears were blunt and would constantly skim off the fish) but it was alot of fun.

The guides took us back down the coast to a small thatched hut where the fish were prepared on a traditional oven by a few of the local women..it was an absolute feast and we sampled many types of fish..


THat eveing we had cocktails on the beach and partied the night away as it was the girls last night with us..again it turned into a test of stamina and i retired at around 5. It was pretty quite (being a monday) but very enjoyable and a good way to see them off..

The next day we opted for a change of scenery and so we all moved (tommy and tony included) up the hill to a new hostel more suited to our needs. That afternoon we chilled in the hammoks and stocked up on groceries in santa marta. It was a deservedly quiet evening from then on out..time to relax a little..

About grizzly_bear


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.