Existing Member?

Mi Querida Sudamerica

Colonia, Uruguay

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [803]

Last weekend (Sunday – Monday) I went to Colonia Uruguay.  It was a pre-planned trip with the exchange program, so nothing exciting. The town is tiny but nice; half the buildings are old Portuguese style and old Spanish style. All I did was eat and sleep.

I got my whole weekend in on Friday. Erika had a party with her friends from class, Carolina, me, an American friend of mine, plus her friends which included: 4 Africans, 4 Argentines, and 2 Russians.  We almost had every continent covered. The plan was to go out, but before you know it, it was 4 am.  We still went out to a place that was in walking distance, but Erika practically had to kick everyone out. There were two strange romances: two Argentine girls and two of the Africans, the language barrier didn’t seem to matter.

Overall, not a normal night, but fun. This weekend we went to see an Argentine movie called Yo Soy Sola, I would definitely recommend it. It really played up the Porteño stereotype, which was genuinely funny.  Today, Saturday, I went to see a photography exhibit featuring Cuba, it was awesome. There were a couple pictures with Fidel and Ernst Hemingway that caught me by surprise. I’ve had a strange fascination with Cuba lately, mostly because the topic is very avoided in the states and here Cuba is respected and Che is a hero, and not just for hippie college kids.

I don’t exactly have a plan for the night, but my phone is ringing off the hook.  I feel like everyone I’ve met in the last two months just decided to start calling me yesterday, and unfortunately its no one interesting.  

Tags: art, movies, parties

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.