Existing Member?

Mi Querida Sudamerica

Santa Cruz, tierra camba

BOLIVIA | Friday, 1 February 2008 | Views [613]

We left La Paz on Sunday for Santa Cruz, I was actually happy to leave. This year La Paz wasn’t quite the same. The flooding really complicated things. We couldn’t go out as much at night because the roads were blocked and not having water was a drag. Water came back to our house for a day, but it was a mixed blessing because that day I got sick, I assume the water had something to do with it. I sent Erika to the pharmacy for Cipro, which only cost me $2.50 for a 5 days supply, and the pharmacist gave it to her no questions asked! I recuperated enough to go out that night, but the night ended with one of my friends and me crying together in the taxi on the way home. The next day was another boring one, it was raining AGAIN, and the water was shut off again.

We left La Paz for Santa Cruz at night (in a bus of course), and 45 minutes outside of La Paz we found ourselves stopped waiting for another bus to come since ours was having mechanical difficulties. The delay lasted about 3 hours and everyone in the bus was pissed and the chofer was not trying to help matters. There was a couple from Spain that missed their plane because of the delays. We really didn’t mind, we weren’t in a huge rush to get to Santa Cruz and by now we are pretty used to bus problems. When I woke up we were in a jungle, Santa Cruz is really should be a different country. The department is still poor, but at least it produces something, agriculture is huge here and there are a lot of foreign companies. La Paz on the other hand has nothing except smuggling. The people here are very different from people in La Paz, I noticed the difference the first night we went out. Everyone dances and knows all the moves, it’s a bit intimidating. So far I´m having a good time and am enjoying the hot weather, Carnival is in a couple days, and then its my birthday so I cant complain.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.