Existing Member?

Mi Querida Sudamerica

La Paz & the water crisis

BOLIVIA | Friday, 25 January 2008 | Views [963] | Comments [1]

La Paz!! We finally made it after 15 hours.  This is one of my favorite cities in the world, total chaos.  Indians, mountains, and millionaires all mixed together.  The streets are always of full of people.  We spent the day not doing much, walking around, went out for coffee.  Unfortunately the kids/troubled teens are obsessed with throwing water balloons full force at everone.  We had to do a lot of running and there were many close calls.  We went out to a comadres party, which is a pre-carnival tradition where you are supposed to exchange a special cake with one of your female friends which is then your comadre. Then there is a comadres party with only females. The party we went to was at a bar, only females are allowed, and all the food and drinks are free!! It was a suprisingly good time. Everyone still dressed to impress and all the tables and bars were full of people dancing. Afterwords we left and met up with some other friends (males of course to balance things out). Most of the people I met last year so it was fun to see them again.  We all went to Mongos, my favorite bar in the city, which is always fun.  The night ended at 3:30 which is earlier than usual, but I was ready to call it a night. A few of us insisted on continuing the party at our place, I was dead, but I still stayed up to watch the hilarity.
I woke up the next morning, and to my horror there was no water!! I thought it was just something to do with our house, but it tuns out that the entire southern zone of the city is without water for at least 24 hours! There is really bad flooding throught the entire country and there was some damage to the water system in the city.  We are completely lost without water and all of our friends live in the southern zone.  Getting ready to go out tonight will be complicated. We tried to use the water at a resturant so we could at least wash our hands and brush our teeth, but they didnt have water either. It looks like its we are going to have to buy a few gallons and just get buy with that.  I really hope there is water tomorrow, some people say we wont have water for the next three days.
Hopefully we will be able to take the bus to Santa Cruz on Sunday, but with the flooding a lot of the roads between here and there are closed.
Flood damage is the last thing this poor country needs.

Tags: Misadventures

Comments

1

Jessica,
I made the trip Sao Paulo - Puerto Suares- Cochabamba-Santa Cruz-La Paz-Cuzco-Salta-Buenos Aires-Bariloche in 1972. I would imagine that many things have not changed since then. Hope you saw MOTORCYCLE DIARIES as it roughly follows that route. If you get to Brasil be sure to e-mail me as I have plenty of advice - whether you want it or not.
Boa sorte e vaya con huevos,
Dan

  Dan Johnson Feb 6, 2008 11:59 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.