Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Tuesday 29th November 11, Around Marlo, East Gippsland, Victoria, Australia

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 1 December 2011 | Views [655]

We have been touring around a bit for two days now as there was no surf to be found around Melbourne and we had to start making some distance. We stopped yesterday at ninety mile beach, at a free campsite for the first time and are happily surprised by the quality of the place. There are a number of different campsites you can just pull in and make camp, under the trees. You are allowed to make a campfire as long as there are no warnings for high risk for bush fire and there are toilets and usually a water tap with rain water. The only thing they usually don’t have are showers, so there are only so many days you can stay on those before the smell of one another drives you to a paId one(I’m joking by the way). It’s a really pretty place and the beach is very pretty and honours its name as golden beach by it’s beautiful colour.  As we walk back behind the dunes we spot a gigantic porcupine , who is by no means intimidated by us as he just goes on with digging it’s hole while Graham pokes it, it is a very funny sight.

And then we spot them, the kangaroos! I nearly missed them as they were grazing in the front lawn of a house in such a relaxed manner that I spotted them out of the corner of my eye, thinking; ah look some domestic house kangaroos in the front lawn. A bit like spotting a horse really.  Before my mind comprehended the fact that it was very unlikely. They are massive and have this very human expression over them. They look a bit out of proportion like a women with giant hips and really small shoulders when they stand on their hind legs, with the front legs hanging a bit said to the side as if saying; I know, I’m only rudimentary. It’s a group of three and I guess a male and two females by their sizes. The male is about the height of me, but the females a lot shorter. They do look like they can get ugly if they don’t like you though, even though they are not aggressive animals, they are known for their strength in their hind legs. After having a mutual stare of about 5 minutes they decide it’s time to hop off. Which is the funniest thing to see really. I can’t believe I spotted kangaroos in the wild. Hopefully a koala will soon follow.

After ninety mile beach we head up to Marlo and camp in the bush, where we are soon joined by a family with two young kids, one is 1 year old and the other 2,5. They have a car and a campervan and have been touring Australia like that for 20 weeks now the dad tells Graham. Sounds like a pretty mad adventure.

 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.