Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Friday 25th November 11, Torquay Bay, Victoria, Australia

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 28 November 2011 | Views [416]

After a bit of a short night we arrive in Melbourne airport to be greeted by the sniffer dogs  as we are the only ones who are being send for a check, I start to very much worry about my appearance.  It must be the tired look,  Grom’s tries to reassure me. We pick up the van in a lesser neighbourhood of Melbourne, where a bloke of about 25 asks me if I want to have a little teddy bear he had with him as he grins at me from behind the big scar on his face. I’m so happy I’m having my personal bodyguard walking next to me.

The van turns out to be a bit different then we saw on the photo, but they always do that I suppose and this one was a good deal. And it turns out later to have all we need and be quite comfy, so what more do you want. The road trip can get started!

So we head off from Melbourne to Geelong and then onto Torquay, surfing paradise, they even call the region like that there is so much surf. Unfortunately there is hardly any when we are around as people tell us it was great 3 days ago… rub it in boys. But at least it gives us time to settle in, get some groceries and find Grom a board. As you might remember he broke his old one in Mamallapuram in India. There are loads of surf shops around and even shops that specialise in second hand boards. We load it all up and head for Bells beach and Winkypops. It turns out to be quite small as predicted, but even so, there are 12 guys out at Winkypops and 3 at Bells, you don’t need a fortune teller to imagine how busy it gets when there really is swell. Groms goes for it anyway and even gets a little barrel. It’s really pretty out there, the rocks of the coast are sort of golden orange in a marbled fashion, with loads of green on top and winding roads. Loads of people turn up to look at the surf, hand out on the beach or go for a walk. This area is really one of the healthy people doing their outdoor thing.

I work on my cooking skills in the mean time as Graham gives me some instructions I managed to produce some pretty tasty dishes and that’s in a campervan. We both really enjoy the camping experience as you are very independent and bought really missed eating home cooked food.

We got a bit of a shock though going to the supermarket, everything is so expensive, 5 dollars for a small pack of cream? 5 dollars for a bread? My god, the euro most be doing bad and people must make a lot of money around here. But hey, shopping with some extra care will get us there as well.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.