Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Sunday 4th November 11, Sydney

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 4 December 2011 | Views [669]

We have travelled quite a bit since now, some 1400 km. Since Marlo we have spend the night in a place called Tura beach, to move on the next day to Dalmeny, where we stayed two days to do the laundry and have a shower. As there was a bit of surf for Grom so he could make use of his board and wetsuit while I could work on my tan (Have to arrive tanned for Christmas).  There was a beautiful beach as well so we went for a nice jog and I finished with some yoga.

We try to stay at a free camp place every other day to keep the cost down a bit and as they are usually in a nature reserve, the only thing you miss out on is the power and showers. But it does pay back in scenery and adventure value. Unfortunately we are not very lucky with the weather and it seems to rain that it poor’s every other day, and great sunshine the other. So I walk around in my sweater with jeans and tights underneath them one day and the other bikini and little top. Mad I tell you. It doesn’t just look like Ireland, the weather is just as unpredictable. But that doesn’t change the fact that the scenery is very nice, with vast amounts of forest and so much wildlife around. The parrots come and sit on your door and the kangaroos hop onto the beach. While the people sell fresh fruit along the motor way, giving the whole a nice countryside town feel.

As we move on from Dalmeny we drove our campervan down to pebbly Beach and the day after in Shell Harbour. Where they had a very scenic beach in a nature reserve, our last stop before Sydney. The beach looked stunning again and there even was a little surf. This seemed to have lured out half of the Australian population to the water which did not improve the chances of the little waves that where there for Grom. But it surely gave a very nice atmosphere to the whole place. Really everyone surfs here. The old boy on his longboard with a long grey beard. Daddy out in the waves with his 5 year old daughter on her mini board, including leash. It’s a lot of fun just watching everyone. The sun here is incredible strong. It feels a lot more intense than in the other place we have been. I wonder if it had something to do with the thinness of the ozone layer here.

Today we arrived in Sydney and it keeps surprising me how easy driving around here is. They have good signs and not really busy roads. We parked the car at the zoo as you can take the ferry into town from there, which worked really well. The zoo is really cool, as I finally get to see all the animals that I wanted to see. Like Koala’s, some more kangaroos and the Tasmanian devil, which only lives in Tasmania. It looks like a mix between a really big mouse and a bear. As well as that we see some animals that looks so weird that we are a bit perplex. To name some; platypus( mix between duck and otter, Binturang; weird bear like creature which looked a lot like a cat, fishing cat and Emu’s, loads of deadly snakes, It was a lot of fun I can tell you.

After that we nipped on the ferry to go and see the Sydney Opera house. Which looked very nice from a distance and up close a little less impressive. A bit like it got a bit too yellow, as if someone smoke for to long next to it really. Sydney itself is a beautiful city though, build along a natural harbour, it has a lot of water and houses with great views. The many transport is the ferry and there is a lot of green in the form of palm trees and parks as well as some nice modern architecture. The botanic gardens next to the Opera house were nice as well as we strolled along Sydney. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.