Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Saturday 5th November 11 – Taj Maha,l Agra – India

INDIA | Sunday, 6 November 2011 | Views [461]

Normal 0 false false false EN-IE JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-IE; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Known as the one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, said to be all that is good and pure, the Taj Mahal still lives up to her name. and being one of the most impressive odes to Love only makes this architectural wonder extra enchanting.

As we walk through to gate, which keeps the main building of the Taj Mahal out of view, we see more and more of it through the Oman shaped windows as if we were peaking through a semi see through chamber divider. And then there it is; the Taj Mahal in all its glory, rising up through the haze, created by the river behind it and surrounded by the light blue sky, the building looks milky white and gives it an extra mysterious look. It is still as impressive as I remembered,  as we take our time simply admiring it while sitting on a bench. In the mean time trying to block out the noise of ‘official photographers’ giving instructions to clients and trying to keep other people out of their photo. The way the garden and the waterways were constructed only add to the beauty, as do the 4 minarets surrounding the Taj Mahal, being slightly leaning away from the main building so in case of an earthquake not to damage the Taj.

The Taj Mahal has been design by emperor Jahan San for his second wife, Mumtaz Mahal, who died in 1631 giving birth to his 14th child. In honour of his love for her he ordered the build of the Taj Mahal, to be her tomb and is said to be designed by him personally. Her death left him so heartbroken that he is said to have gone grey overnight and he his kingdom almost went bankrupt over the whole affair, resulting in his son seizing power and locking his father in Agra Fort, where he died, overlooking the Taj mahal in 1666. He was buried next to Mumtaz under the main structure of the Taj Mahal where the public can’t visit. On top of this are two sarcophagus inside the Taj, shielded by marble fencing, beautifully inlaid with the most delicate stone work in complicated patterns and polished until it felt soft. The Taj Mahal is truly a masterpiece.

Visiting Agra fort can only stand in the shadow of the Taj Mahal, but it has to be said is a very interesting example of smart defensive tactics. The fort is surrounded by water, which contained numerous crocodiles (then, not now as it’s dry), If you would manage to cross that and get the bridge down you would have to brake through four gates with very big and strong doors, in which case the road leading to them are in a curve, and up hill making it hard to gain speed with your battering ram. After which you would have to walk up a road surrounded with high wall, from which they could pour oil and water and if that was insufficient, they had a huge bolder at there disposal they could unleash to thunder down that road to crush anyone unfortunate enough to get in its way, and seal the entrance again. How they managed to take the fort four times if a mystery to me.

The fort contains many beautiful buildings, carved and laid in with the same semi precious stones as the Taj Mahal, as this fort was also adapted by the great emperor. It’s intriguing to stand on the same spot as where he was held captive for 8 years, looking at his masterpiece waiting  to die and be re-joined with his beloved wife.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.