Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Thursday 3rd November 11, Delhi, India

INDIA | Thursday, 3 November 2011 | Views [483]

Normal 0 false false false EN-IE JA X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-ansi-language:EN-IE; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

After a long travel by train from Hampi to Bangalore and then by plane from Bangalore to Delhi,  we arrive somewhat tired in Delhi, the capital of chaos. We are armed with a face like thunder and a  equal amount of lack of politeness which in absolutely necessary  in this place if you do not want to  end up in one of  the numerous scams around here, which they seem to have develop into the regional sport. As we want to take the taxi from the train station to the airport, we are being assured by the group of ‘taxi drivers’ that the sheet of paper he has state the official government rates, like they exist in India, and we have to pay 1250 rupees. Don’t make me laugh Graham answers, as we are told by a local India we met on the train that the rate we should pay is somewhere between 400 and 600 RS. After a lot of haggling and walking on our account, we find out that the dude does not have a taxi at all himself but just tries to get commission by arranging a price with us and then call over one of the taxi drivers standing at the and of the road. As we get into the taxi that does look like one, we ask the dude ourselves as always, on which he reply’s 450. That is a very interesting answer as we just a agreed 600. The poor guy gets a lot of verbal abuse until he pays the guys their commission and they leave. Unfortunately this is not the only encounter we have as we get on the bus that runs between the two terminals on the airport the dude tries to get us to pay the double amount per person. And when I’m going to the toilet on the train station the dude tells me I have to pay 4 rupees instead of the two that it says on the sign above his head. That’s for pee he answers me.  Then that’s all I have to pay I answer him. As that is not a good enough answer for the guy I ensure him it’s only a number 1. My god, seriously, am I actually needing  to tell this guy on a train station to specify for what  I need the restroom? Of course he claims to have no change, only 6 rupees he has. After some more waiting and keeping my leg stiff, the other two rupees suddenly appear like magic from his drawer.

Anyhow, we arrive safe and sound in our hotel that turns out to be one of the nicest place we have been until now, which is a nice change and escape of the immensely busy streets, which aren’t the cleanest either.

The red fort looms up in front of us, it’s incredibly big and build by the same king as who build the Taj Mahal. Unfortunately he was never able to fully use it as his son put him to prison in Agra fort as he almost made his kingdom go bankrupt by spending all the money and resources on building the Taj Mahal for his deceased wife as a honour of their love. He allegedly died, looking at the Taj from his chamber up in the red fort,  and was buried next to his wife.

The red fort is more an enclosure of a city than anything else, and as everywhere in India, security is high. With metal detectors and scanners at the entry and guys looking unfriendly gazing over their AK 47’s in their bunker. I never know whether to feel more or less safe when seeing this.

Within the fort there is a welcoming sense of serenity, walking along the grass fields, looking at the beautiful buildings, terraces  and pavilions. The palaces were being cooled by an ingenious system that involved pumping up water from the river and distributing it through the fort to cool it all down. Unfortunately all the water ways are now dry but using your imagination you can see that this would have been a magnificent site as they really knew how to landscape there. But then again, what can you expect of the guy who created the Taj Mahal. The buildings are all made of either red sandstone, or white marble, with carved in flower patterns, filled with half gem stones, to give a spectacular view. When you touch them you notice that the stone feels very cold and the surface feels soft and perfectly smooth, as it’s polished to perfection.

I’m really looking forward to see the Taj again, not long to go!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.