Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Monday 31st October 11, Hampi, India

INDIA | Tuesday, 1 November 2011 | Views [638]

Beautiful  Hampi, the AngkorWat of India, what a great site you are. Such a welcome escape from the hustle and bustle of Indian life, to just walk among the 500 year old ruins, with no-one around, to listen to the silent words the walls of these places speak. The vastness of this place is incredible as we cycle around the area, true this bizaar landscape formed by the forces of erupting volcanoes. Making it look like a couple of angry giants started to throw rocks at each other, resulting in these huge boulder mountains as far as the eye can see.

The temples are made of the rock excavated from the lava rock using a technique where they would chisel squares out of the rock and place wood in it. They wet the wood which then would expand and split the rock. It then is carved into the most amazing stone figures varying from lion-dragons, elephants, horses and temple maidens, forming the pillars and walls of these immense buildings. Most of the temples are Hindu temples and the main one on the square next to our guesthouse is still an important Hindu temple where people from all over the country come to bring their offerings. Most of the other temples have their shrines removed. We are told that happens after the reign of the great king who build all these structures after the Moors took over in 1565.

They themselves build the Islamic quarters, which is an amazing sight as well, with some astonishing architecture. It’s a huge premise of 59,000 sq.m and it was fully surrounded by  two double wall, about 3 meters high. And if that wasn’t enough, they had a zenana enclosure within that, to keep the queen extra safe.  The walls are 6 meters high there. But boy, her palace does look like it just left the story of Aladdin and Jasmine. She had a private bathhouse the size of a swimming pool, with again beautiful shaped windows and carving inside. And at the back side of her private asteate we can admire the royal elephant stables, wordy of a king. It’s great to just cycle around this beautiful landscape and visiting temple an route as we please. Most of them are for free as well and not crowded at all.

On the end of the day we visit the Vitalla temple, 2 km down the river from where we are staying, to see yet another crown jewel of architecture and craftsmanship. The tops of these temples are covered in very detailed stone work, made out of brickwork, covered in plaster, which in some places you can see. It just doesn’t last as long as the stone carvings. I wonder if they had to, because of the sheer weight. The pillars of the temple are made in such a shape and hollow that they vibrate when you tap them, producing a sound.  The top attraction is a stone carriage, which is said to be able to move on its stone wheels at some point in time. I wonder how many elephants they needed for that though.

This is a really cool place to visit and shows a different side of India, we conclude as we enjoy our vegetarian food, sitting under the mango tree, overlooking the river, with some water buffalos crossing.

On to our next adventure in Delhi and Agra.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.