Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Monday 7th November 11, Agra - India

INDIA | Monday, 7 November 2011 | Views [366]

So beautiful are the buildings, yet the streets so filthy. We have not yet seen it like this and are a bit in shock. I feel I’m in the middle ages walking on the streets, trying to evade the dirt everywhere and trying not to breath when walking past the numerous latrines along the road spreading there odder. The sewer system is open and as to be expected does not add to the odder.  There seems to be no system in place for waste as dustbins, or people cleaning the streets, except for them once in a while burning the waste on a pile. The street where our guesthouse is located is a little better, causing us to mainly stay indoors our remaining 2 days in Agra. It’s shocking that there are so many extremely badly kept houses and dirt in such a close proximity to the Taj Mahal, as our guesthouse is so close by, we walk there in 2 minutes. As you walk around the outer wall of the Taj Mahal the waste is knee high and on the waterside you need to be careful how to shoot your picture as the beach in front of it is so covered in waste that we don’t dare walk there. Let along take a boat ride on the river. You must surely get dysentery if you fall in there.  We normally eat out at different places, but the couple we walk into we leave again to eat in our hostel restaurant as at least the food is reasonable here and we didn’t get sick yet.

And the thing is that it’s not like this in the rest of India, Mamallapura, was clean, with people sweeping the streets every morning. The beach was a mess, but hey, you can’t have it all. Hampi was clean, like Goa. Delhi surely wasn’t, but I would say not as bad as Agra still. I truly understand my younger self now, arriving in Delhi, getting sick and then going to Agra, being in a bus accident and then not liking India. It’s not the best way of seeing India really.

Anyhow, our time in India is coming to an end and it’s right on time.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.