Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

Friday 1st July 11 - Iguazu Falls

BRAZIL | Saturday, 2 July 2011 | Views [307]

What a magnificent sight,looking at where the earth is opening itself and swallowing the seemingly calm meandering amazon into it´s depths, called Devils Throat. The sheer power of the water, thundering down onto the rocks, eroding them further and further, makes you aware that this is a force of nature to have great respect for. It´s absolutely mind blowing and so impressive that Grom and I walk around like two little children, both being soaked to the bone as it is raining so heavy that is poors again, but we don´t even notice it. There are so many great views and we keep saying ´this is so cool´ and laugh really wide that my jaw hurts by the end of the day.

The Iguazu falls consist of 275 different waterfalls, covering more the 2 km of land. The falls can be visted by both sides, one is the Brazilian border and the other the Argentinian one. At the Brazilian side you can walk onto a bridge that is build in the middle of devils throat(the centre of the biggest waterfall) and you find yourself standing on the edge of the water thundering down, and looking up at the water falling down. It´s an emmence sight. The sheer power of the water creates a lot of spray, so there is always a more or less a hazy atmosphere at the falls, so that you get wet whether or not it rains.

Today we went to the Argentina side, we hiked along the falls and looked at them from the top, where the amazon thunders down into the depts. It reminded me of the sceen in Homers Odysees, where he tells about Odycius having to pass the big whirlpool. Incredible!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.