Existing Member?

Adventures of the Fittons

27th - 30th June 11 - Sao Paulo to Foz de Igauzu

BRAZIL | Thursday, 30 June 2011 | Views [617]

If there something that keeps amazing me in this country , is the kindness of people. this is still a place where a young gentleman stands up on a busy metro to let an eldery gentleman sit down. where people start to talk to you in the bus. its supprised us so much as surely  people cant just be nice without wanting something . i find it a bit sad really that i feel this wayand wasnt initally open to the nice jestures. i cant help but wonder where we have gone in our super efficient society that we dont seem to have time for basic kindness any more and remain so individualistic, stressed and lonely. over here its alot less efficient but still works fine and is surely alot more fun.

the city of Sao Paulo is not a very pretty city. we walk around on our city tour and find some old nice buildings that are hidden behind the skyscrapers.we are staying with Tiajo though, who is the son of Jayo, the lady we stayed with in Ubatuba. he is a really nice guy and its his grand parents apartment in the posh end of Sao Paulo which is still decorated like a flash back to the 60s with retro lime green cooker.

in the evening we find ourselfs backed between an aweful lot of people who all want the same  thing, which is to get on the metro. so in the middle of rush hour with our two big back packs and a surfboard and 20  million people, its not easy but finally we make it to the bus station to get our night bus to Foz de Igauzu which is 15 hours away.

on there we meet Graham and Graham, senior and junior, who are having a 3 week adventure from Rio to Bueno Aires. they are very funny and junior is just of Ritalin and talks so much by the end of his day his jaw hurts he tells us. Senior is walking on crutches as he got his hip replaced 6 weeks ago but still somehow managed to hike up sugarloaf mountain in Rio and a  8 hour hike in Ilha Grande , where i even struggled with the steepness of the terain. im sure his doctor doesnt know about this. they are from Kengsington in London and even though i suspect they are loaded they are very chilled and down to earth and now doing the backpacking experience, i think for his son. i can only admire that. Senior says he loves it aswell and they ask if they can tag along with us to what hostel we are staying.

for luch its off to a churrascaria (restaurant serving barbecued meat in a fancy way)for lunch, not really my idea of lunch but the boys are starving and aparently eat meat whenever. Graham Junior proves he is very hungry and nearly scoffs a whole cow, i dont know where he puts it as he is only half the size of my Graham. its all a bit confusing with 3 Grahams aboutbut at least you dont get someones name wrong. funnily enough Graham Senior also has a daughter named Lucy. how weird is that.

well once again its rainsing hard and hopefully it will stop soon as i want to go explore the Falls, which is kind of the reason we are here!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.